• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Anniversary

02Anders

10 hours ago, joebarthlow said:

Good stuff! I too often dream of wheel options, especially the TII steel wheels and hubcaps and the factory-optional F.P.S. alloys.

Joe,

Just to avoid any confusion, the 5” steel rims were standard on round taillight tii’s, and ti’s before the tii’s advent.  But they were not an option on non-ti’s, although many of us started buying (generally used) tii rims and placing them on our originally-4.5” non-tii’s.  The chrome wheel covers are the same for both the 4.5” and 5” rims, so we just moved them to the new (used) rims.

Hoffman Motors (except maybe in some very rare circumstances) didn’t order new ‘02’s, of any sub-model, with the factory-optional early alloys, so those were essentially a dealer accessory here in the States.

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Anders,  Congrats on 25 years!  I am at 32 years & counting.  Bought it from the original owner just before my 19th birthday in 1985.  First car I ever owned & is still my favorite car to drive.  Keep going for another 25!  I will keep mine until it is time to pass it on to my son (He loves it too).

• Like 1

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

25 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Joe,

Just to avoid any confusion, the 5” steel rims were standard on round taillight tii’s, and ti’s before the tii’s advent.  But they were not an option on non-ti’s, although many of us started buying (generally used) tii rims and placing them on our originally-4.5” non-tii’s.  The chrome wheel covers are the same for both the 4.5” and 5” rims, so we just moved them to the new (used) rims.

Hoffman Motors (except maybe in some very rare circumstances) didn’t order new ‘02’s, of any sub-model, with the factory-optional early alloys, so those were essentially a dealer accessory here in the States.

Best regards,

Steve

thanks Steve. I appreciate your knowledge of history. I think I'll end up with a garage full of wheels in the near future lol

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

3 hours ago, Conserv said:

Congratulations, Anders!  That’s a big anniversary, and one that only a relatively small percentage of car owners will ever celebrate!  And your car is darned lucky to be in your hands.  Just think, it could wear a different set of rims every week for a year!  ?

Well not quite Steve, but I could treat my NullZwei to a new set of period rims every second week for a year.  I suppose I could then start over again for the next year and keep that going for the next 25 years (or more)...  ;)

Steve, I actually wrote about the whole "keeper" aspect of my NullZwei ownership within the article.  But no, at first I did not consider for how long I would keep my first car.  Like you, it just sort of happened.  I forgot to sell her, and instead kept driving her and enjoying her...

• Thanks 1

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

2 hours ago, joebarthlow said:

thanks Steve. I appreciate your knowledge of history. I think I'll end up with a garage full of wheels in the near future lol

Careful what you wish for Joe!  For me too it merely started with a mild interest in period alloys.  I started to realise just how many different brands and designs were available, and how much swapping the from one set to another actually changed the overall visual of what was otherwise the same 02.  Heh... I've honestly lost count, but I think I've got 28 different sets of period 13" wheels stashed away.  Perhaps a tad excessive...  :P

• Like 1

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

5 hours ago, 02Anders said:

Careful what you wish for Joe!  For me too it merely started with a mild interest in period alloys.  I started to realise just how many different brands and designs were available, and how much swapping the from one set to another actually changed the overall visual of what was otherwise the same 02.  Heh... I've honestly lost count, but I think I've got 28 different sets of period 13" wheels stashed away.  Perhaps a tad excessive...  :P

See, Joe, I tricked Anders into revealing his inventory of period ‘02 rims.  Let me see...28 x 4 = 112 rims.  Or is Anders as OCD as yours truly, who views a complete set as 5 rims....28 x 5 = 140?   So the truck I boost for The Big Heist has to fit between 112 and 140 rims.... ?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

7 hours ago, Conserv said:

See, Joe, I tricked Anders into revealing his inventory of period ‘02 rims.  Let me see...28 x 4 = 112 rims.  Or is Anders as OCD as yours truly, who views a complete set as 5 rims....28 x 5 = 140?   So the truck I boost for The Big Heist has to fit between 112 and 140 rims.... ?

Best regards,

Steve

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes Steve, my OCD is probably as profound as yours.  My dear wife teases me that in my case it should be called "CDO", as I will go bonkers if it's not lined up in alphabetical order...  ;)
On that note, I have indeed always tried my best to get 5 alloys to form a complete set, but at times it has unfortunately proven impossible.

As for that Big Heist of yours, just keep in mind that many of my alloys are still in my lock-up back in Denmark, while some have made their way across the pond to the UK, so you'll be putting a few miles on that truck of yours...  

• Like 1

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.