• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door squeak fix...

dang

I'm sure this must have been talked about before but I couldn't find it with a quick search.  My latest project is a '73 tii and I noticed after the car was painted that the driver door made a horrible squeak when it moved.  I'm talkin' REALLY LOUD and extremely irritating when you're working on the interior and going in and out of the door a lot.  After I went inside the house after working on the car my wife said, "What was that noise I kept hearing?".  Yeah, its THAT bad!

I tried every lube and penetrating fluid I could think of with no improvement.  I mentioned it to a co-worker and he said the trick used in his vintage motorcycle club when dealing with squeaks is to use a blow dryer and heat up the hinge(s) as hot as you can without messing up the paint, then use your lubricant of choice to get it in the hinge area.  I tried it last night and it immediately made it 95% better.  I checked it again this morning when it was cold and the squeak is basically gone.  No more cussing out the door on my car!  Yay!

Edited by dang