• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

76'er - anyone running with weber with OG air filter

hey folks-

I'm still getting acclimating with my new 76 and as most of you know trying to understand what's been going on under the hood for the past 40 some years. Current set up is the original ail filter with snorkel and what i thought would be the Solex carb underneath. After removing the filter I've come to find it's a Weber 32/36 DGAV (water choke) on a riser or adapter. Looks like some of the smog gear has been removed as I've detected some capped hoses but not all. The car runs really well and starts up easily. Gas mileage is fantastic. NO fumes whatsoever in the cabin. That said, it does smoke on decel from 60+mph and just all around feels slow getting up to speed.

Was curious if anyone else was running with this carb / filter set up. I know the usual would be to have the smaller rectangular filter

Series 1, 1969 2002

Instagram: joseiden_bmwerke

That is an extremely common setup, and there is a lot - a lot - of information on the 32/36 here in the forums. Smoke on deceleration points wearing valve seals / rings depending. Since the car is new to you, perhaps perform a leak down / pressure test on the cylinders to get an idea of what you're looking at. 

Slow acceleration could be a number of things, but I would first set the timing with a timing light and make sure the carb is adjusted properly. 

I've got this exact setup on my '76. Has been flawless for me since I bought the car in 2002. I've literally never touched anything on the carb, about 40k miles and 15 years later. Leave it!! 

--

'73 Sahara numbers matching 

'74 Mintgrun sunroof car w/ oem Golde deflector, euro bumpers, 5spd, owned since 2002