• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seat Recline Cable

Man I thought switching out the seat cable to allow it to lean forward would be easy. Unfortunately the one I got from @BLUNT didn't seem to work. There was no way to thread it through the wheel due to a loop on the end of the cable as the wheel sits inside a non removable bracket. Also my original cable has a screw down tension cap, that the new cable didn't use. Furthermore the original cable requires a cap to sit inside the tensioner so it won't slip out. What's the deal with fixing this thing?

IMG_20170509_225856.jpg

IMG_20170509_225917.jpg

IMG_20170509_225929.jpg

IMG_20170509_225840.jpg

Turns out there are several different cables for these mechanisms. On my 76' it's ROPE INNER, but it looks like the part is 52101855303. However, that still doesn't answer the question of how one would thread this through that wheel. When you unscrew the top of the tightening mechanism, the threaded sleeve doesn't come off the cable end because the end has a crimped stop on it to keep it from sliding out of the sleeve. 

Edited by silasmoon

You´re right, there are a LOT of different cables.

1. Post a photo of your complete seat with the headrest visible.

2. Post a photo of the hinge on your seat.

3. Post a photo of the lever that is to be pulled before the seat back moves forward.

Best regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

I recently replaced both cables on my 76 seats.  You need to force the cable over the pulley - you don't thread it though.    In the picture above, the cable goes between the metal housing shown and the pulley, from the side away from you.  Slip it into the gap and kind of roll it into the pulley.