• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW"126" Project - NK with a V8

duggi

So, while browsing my favorite leisure-reading website, bmw-grouparchiv.de, I ran across an interesting nugget of information.  Apparently they played around with putting the 2.6 V8 from the 502 in an NK:

As an experiment in 1963-64 the 2.6-liter V-8 engine was fitted with two carburetors and installed for trials in the new BMW 1800 medium-sized car. This "126" project was suspended after the engine had been fitted in the vehicle and a number of performance measurements taken.

taken from: https://bmw-grouparchiv.de/research/detail/index.xhtml?id=3939963

'67 BMW 2000 (Chamonix)

'68 BMW 2000 (Granada)

'84 BMW 528e, '87 BMW 325is, '15 535i, '18 M3cs

The first TISA I rode in, in 1966, belong to a friend of my dads , named Richard Boyer. He was from a well-to-do family and relatively spoiled, and I remember dad telling me that he

(Boyer) had wrecked his dad's gullwing Mercedes. Anyway Boyer often used to talk about putting an aluminum block Buick V8 into his tisa, to get more power. Back then people would put  V-8's into Volvo 544's, and other things. Although it is heresy, it would've made for a devilishly fast NK.

Best regards, Peter

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum

You may already know this; back in the '60s GM sold the tooling for the Buick aluminum block V8 to Rover after deciding that development had reached the end of the line.  It appeared in various Rovers, Range Rovers, Triumph TR8, Morgan Plus 8 and TVRs and today is a popular upgrade for the MGB.  I had a TR8 with 10:1 pistons, uprated camshaft and Edelbrock 390 4-barrel which was a blast to drive!

Alex