• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Creating folding key head on a 3D printer

Oldtimerfahrer

Hi,

Has anyone tried to reproduce the plastic part of the key? Its only 2 parts and I would suspect that using the right type of plastic it would be possible to recreate it. The BMW logo may be tough at that size and the diamond pattern may not be precise... but mine are getting tired so I will give it a try. Wanted just to check if anyone had already tried...

Regards,

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

I found a sterling silver blank on eBay a bunch of years ago. The story I got was that someone in Alaska made 2 of them.

That's all I know!

Cheers,

IMG_0788.jpg%7Eoriginal

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Hi,

Yes, I remember seeing your post, nice piece. Was it cast or processed with some sort of grinder?Judging from the quality, it must have been cast and there must have been blanks created. I don't remember seeing casting marks on yours but in assembled status you may not see them. Is it also 2-piece and if not, how is the key itself held in the head? Mine is a bit grubby and while the insert is still ok, the main plastic piece is quite tired. A little garden furniture cleaner would do the trick in cleaning it up.IMAG1411.jpg

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

I'm pretty certain mine is cast. And the design looks faithful to the original.

Wish I knew more about it's origin -- the eBay seller had purchased it from the craftsman...

Cheers,

IMAG0059.jpg

Ray

5 minutes ago, halboyles said:

Are blanks for the two piece keys still available?

Folding key blanks were NLA when I looked (hard) a buncha years ago.

Oddly there were a few shown as inventory in BMWNA's computer system, but we could never get our hands on them.

... I bought a NOS one on this board a couple of years ago...

,,and gave it to Daron as payment for the motor he built for me.

;)

Cheers,

Ray

I'm still sad that I let the plastic-headed folding key for my '70 go with the car when sold in 1990.  Great piece of Bimmer-abilia!  I'd love to have one made/cut for the tii. 

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Hi,

I have seen them on the German ebay from time to time.

I measured an new italian blank from Errebi of the standard key, I could imagine that  it could be cut down to work but the blank is fairly thin, so I don't know how long it would last. I have put an inquiry in with a company that produces the relevant "standard" blank, to see if they would produce a small run of the correct ones. I'll post what they answer.

Andrew

I understand the regular steel Huf blanks are still available.

I think one could make some cuts and produce a section suitable for attaching to the plastic (or sterling!) handle...

Cheers,

Ray

Hi,

I thought about that, one could take a cheap blank and cut it out with a small die grinder and file the remainder by hand but I noticed that my Italian blank is strengthened by having more material around the perimeter...this is the material you would cut away and be left with a fairly flimsy thinner material. I haven't measured it with a micrometer, but there is a difference in thickness. The original Huf key is losing its nickel plating, but inspires more confidence than the new blank. My son had a set of spare keys cut for his E30 and the blanks were so thin that he twisted the spare key a few weeks later. Really shoddy.

Andrew