• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Convince Me Not to Cut This Cylinder Head Into a Torque Plate

Benjamin A.R.

I've been fighting the urge to do this ever since I started planning my turbo engine. It's getting harder now that I'm close to machining the bottom end. I know a guy who will let me borrow his stuff to do this. I can't get a 50 RA with the machine he's got, but it shouldn't matter. If we could, I'd do all my machine work for free haha.

Pros:

- Saves me money/trouble renting one from VAC.

-Might be better than a traditional torque plate since it's pretty damn close to being an actual head.

-Science!

Cons:

- It might lose too much rigidity to work or just break because studs clamp hard.

-I'll for sure ruin a head that might be fixable.

IMAG1389.jpg

The head in question...

IMAG1390.jpg

Crack between valves in combustion chamber for #2.

IMAG1391.jpg

Rough idea what 89mm holes will do. It looks like this could work, especially if I put some old rocker shafts in. 

IMAG1392.jpg

IMAG1393.jpg

IMAG1394.jpg

I know of some guys who have had success doing this on other engines and I've heard of one guy who did it to an M10. No documentation that I could dig up online though. I'll be the guinea pig unless someone wants to make a small donation to my build and save this 121 for something better.

I would ask if anyone in the SF bay area would let me borrow their proper one, but I'm not 100% sure on which auto machinist I'm gonna trust with my cash. So I'm not sure on the timeline for when I'd need it. It might be better to make this happen?

Edited by SnowDriftin44