• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Supporting Engine from above using only one lift point

Columbo

I have a 1975 2002 and plan on checking a rod bearing for play, replacing the oil pan gasket and replacing some of the front suspension bushings.  Im planning on removing the front sub frame all together even though it could probably be done with it attached.

I bought one of those Harbor Freight engine support bars and was wondering if it would be safe to support the engine using only the front lift point (the one by the alternator).  

Also, is there an advantage if I remove the engine mounts from the engine block vs removing them from the subframe?

As you can probably tell, this is the first time I've done this.

39 minutes ago, Columbo said:

was wondering if it would be safe to support the engine using only the front lift point (the one by the alternator).  

Also, is there an advantage if I remove the engine mounts from the engine block vs removing them from the subframe?

As you can probably tell, this is the first time I've done this.

SAFETY FIRST. Jack stands and floor jack combo.

Remove cable from battery negative post 

Yes. Have seen it done that way with no issue

Detach left and right  engine mountings from sub frame. this way engine support blocks are attached to engine block. 

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

Yup, the front point can take the weight.  As with any lifting operation, don't get underneath it...

In fact, to do the engine and trans together, you often find you're pretty much dangling the whole

mess off the front lift point anyway, to get it angled enought to come out.

The leveller is well worth it.  Double- check yours to make sure

it's fully functional...

Take the distributor out.  You'll break it if you don't. 

hth,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks for the reply, Buckeye.

Along with jack stands, I placed some ramps next to them with a 4X4 running underneath and sitting on top of the ramps.  If I get a floor jack, where would be a safe place to use it with the subframe removed?

Now I just have to get motivated to go out in my 40 degree garage and lay on my back for a few hours!