• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Up-to no good

2002noob

So I am up-to no good I guess..

i am about to start a project and buy a S14B20 engine from a salvage 320IS.

Because without an engine no engine swap possible...

I went to see the guy who put it up for sale, half redneck..

sale price was 9000 Euro everything in: cables, engine, gearbox and the wreck.

I visited the place today before making a final decision of buying everything,

engine was pulled out of the car as was the gearbox and the cables.

The seller told me he sold the gearbox last week the someone else and suggested delivering a 262 Getrag instead of a 265 Getrag..

First question is: should I buy everything all together with the 262 Getrag or just the engine and the cables?

The seller insists the gearbox matches the engine no problem.. But what is the difference? And should buy it?

The only reason why I would first buy the engine is because they are REALLY hard to find.

Later on this year I will buy a bare 02 to mount everything in...

Any suggestions?

IMG_7118.JPG

i know not at all.  I could GUESS that any M10/M30 trans SHOULD work.

But I might be wrong.

That engine looks like it needs to go into a 2002.

Bummer about your flakey seller.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

The gearboxes that came with s14s don't fit in a 2002 trans tunnel without modifying the tunnel. (Making bigger..cutting, not just hammering)

That engine has been stripped.  Have compression and leak down numbers been provided?   Do you know for sure you will be getting ALL the missing parts for a working engine at that price?  Intake, tb's, fuel rail, sensors, starter, manifold, etc

Seems like a shaky deal to me. 

2xM3

What is your thinking for putting in an S14, cool factor, power, BMW originality, 9000 euros can buy a lot of motor. S2000, highly (turboed) modified M10 or E30 M20. All I'm saying is you can do a lot with that kind of money, especially for an engine that may need rebuilding or parts. If money is no object to you, have at'er.

If you are not an astute buyer of S14 stuff, half that price might be money down the drain.  If it is not all there, those missing parts can really add up.  Just rebuilding that engine is a lot of cash.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Thx everyone for ur input!

I mailed the seller that the deal is off, due to not everything being in that package.

The seller then sent me a reply:

"Appearantly your forum friends are too much forum-orientated instead of technically orientated"

I am going to oversee new paths to dwell on and hope, that out there somewhere, there is the right 2002 somewhere..

another thx for every opinion!