• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct coil?

Columbo

While troubleshooting my erratic tachometer, I noticed my coil is a "flamethrower" 1.5 ohm coil.  I have standard ignition (points and condenser).  It's a 1975 2002 BTW.  

My tach stays at zero when idle and will jump rapidly when I rev the engine then drop to no indication again.  While driving it can show no indication at all or erratic indications.  

The PO had electronic ignition but when I bought it had been switched back to standard ignition.  The 1.5 ohm coil remained.

Any ideas?

I doubt the coil has anything to do with your tach. Unless you've got some weird wiring issues.

Bosch coils of late aren't that great. I've had to go through a few for my '89 911. The blues or silvers just didn't work great or last long.

The old black ones were better.

I've got an old black Bosch in mine. Not broken so I'm not going to replace it. Even though it looks dirty and beat up.

Looking up older posts in this forum, it looks like the black coil is the correct one for our 2002s. Mines a 76. 

Don't know about you erratic tachometer, but about your ignition coil, you need to chase that wire from coil that looks like speaker wire along firewall in blue sheeting where is connected to regular wire. take ohmmeter and measure ohms of that speaker wire at two ends. so if speaker wire ohm value is is about 1.0 ohm then you need coil with 2 ohms resistance. total circuit require almost 3 ohms. assuming PO did not change that wire. I believe for 75 car you need this coil.

bosch coil.PNG 

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10