• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[FIXED] Weber rough acceleration/idles just fine after road trip

enoklite

Hi all,

Haven't posted in awhile, since most of my answers are found on these forums. Except this time, the current situation with my Weber 32/36 is unique.

I was driving back from a ~400-mile camping trip and 100 miles from home the car started to hesitate and jerk under acceleration, but when I pulled over the car idled just fine like it always does.

I was able to limp home and troubleshoot the issue but nothing unusual presented itself. I replaced spark plugs which looked toasted. I tested the mechanical fuel pump which squirted just fine. I checked for squirts from the accelerator pump--that was fine. Sprayed carb cleaner around the bay to check for vacuum leaks--nothing. The dist cap is fairly new as well as the wires.

One side note: I was forced to fill up with regular fuel (89) in the "middle of nowhere" since they were waiting on delivery of supreme (93) about 200 miles before any of these problems. To compensate for the difference in octane rating I dumped some generic fuel treatment in (doesn't Lucas and Techron contain octane?). Maybe I screwed myself over with this combination.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on what to look for?

I thank you all dearly!

Edited by enoklite

An update:

I took another look inside the barrels and the first one took a couple pumps to get a good constant squirt and the second one doesn't at all at WOT. Is there a way to clean the jets or should I replace the accelerator pump? I replaced the accelerator pump in the last year (because of a broken gasket there) and it looks fine.

Might need to give the carb's insides a cleaning.  Sounds like you picked up some crud that's blocking a passageway somewhere inside. Pull the idle jets on each side and blast them out first, though... they are notorious for clogging up and causing these kinda symptoms.

Bet it's something easy.  It's possible the Techron did it's job of cleaning deposits and perhaps a chunk broke loose and is now lodged in a jet or passage.  

Ed

FWW... Techron is a fuel system cleaner and not an octane booster

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Weber Whisperer?? I don't think so... Cleaning idle jets is Weber 101...the class I'm still trying to pass. 

But it I am glad to hear you got your car running better, enoklite. Luckily it was something so simple. 

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool