• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So what's your '02's value?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

bmw1.jpg

What did you pay for it? What year did you get it? How much money do you have in it? What do you think it's worth and what do you think you could get on ebay for it? Give a sentence or two on conditon (including rust/dimples/mileage etc.), and post a pic so others may judge.

I want to see some of these 6k-10k 1600-2s especially.

Mine: I paid 4k (112k miles) in 1990, and have about 5k in it and I believe it's worth 6k or so. 132k miles, original paint and everything else but wheels, Moto Lita, Recaros, Konis (and I have those original parts in the garage) no dimples, no rust (as in none repaired either), no cracked-dash. The way you guys value cars it's a 10k ebay machine.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

Got it 6.5 years ago for $3500. Had very minimal rust, nice paint, great chrome, Recaros, AC, sunroof, steel wheels. 92K documented miles at the time and every receipt since 1981 (previous owner receipts totalled over $20,000 (yes...20 thousand dollars)when I bought it!).

have since restored the entire car inside and out turning every nut and bolt myself, save for the body and paint work. I have an easy $26K in it now. Dual 40 DCOES, 9.5 pistons, quick steering box, Alpina bits here and there, E30 leather sport seats, and minutia beyond explanation.

new quarter panels, fenders, doors, nose, rockers, floors, frame rails, trunk floor, and shock towers...all within the last 8 years or so.

Currently has over 215,000 miles on it and maybe worth $9000 on it's best day. ($16K on ebay perhaps)

...but I wouldn't sell it for any price.

I can only imagine how much I'd have in it if I had to pay someone ELSE to do all the work I did myself...it boggles the MIND!

Paul

Guest Anonymous

Just finished the rust irratication and a $4K BMW paint job. Paid $2K for it in April. Needless to say, I have a lot more into it then it's worth right now but wouldn't trade it for anything. So glad to be in the 02 community. I must say I have learned a lot over the past 9 months.

Guest Anonymous

I bought my '76 in 1988. It only had 57,000 miles and I paid $5000. Car is still basically stock, except seats and wheels, and now has 110,000 miles. Very little rust (car in New Mexico from '76 to '90). PO did a nice paint job but didn't have the engine bay, truck, etc painted. That would probably hurt the price if I tried to sell. I'd never sell it but I'm pretty sure I couldn't get back the 5K I bought it for. Maybe $2500???? It has sat a lot the last couple years. I haven't followed what east coast cars are selling for lately.

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

Painted it about 10 years ago with new doors, fenders, tail light panel and one quarter panel (the last two items were very repairable, but I got to new ones for free).

Back then did new rubber all around and new chrome trim,upholstery, carpets, etc. All in all, I probably have about $8K invested, not counting labor, which a good friend and I did. I swapped the body and paint job for a Sahara '74 Automatic which was worth maybe $1300 at the time.

I could sell it locally for, say, $5K or so if the right roundie shows up ;-))

Guest Anonymous

2002.jpg

this tii has lived its entire life in the washington d.c. area. i bought it from a guy a year ago for $4500 -- too much i now realize for a car that has a fair amount of surface rust and crappy shock towers.

it was my daily driver for the past year, taking me 30 miles to and from work. but i couldn't stand doing rushed maintenance on the weekends and evenings, so i bought a honda civic for my daily commute.

i'd like to post more pictures of the car sometime so people can tell me what it's really worth. and i'm especially interested in how dire a situation my shock towers present.

Guest Anonymous

I bought it for $2k spent another $9k rebuilding and upgrading the suspension, brakes, engine, put an Electromotive ignition on it, some 320is Recaros (in need of recovering), an A/C (necessary in Texas), new carpet, new window/door seals, 15" Revolutions, and an OK paint job. If I were to invest in a nice paint job and recover the Recaros, it could pass for a $10k car.

Guest Anonymous

1976 2002, 147K miles, original motor & head

Paid about $4500 in 1983 with ~47K miles

Needs paint and some body work

No serious rust, surface mainly

Stuff:

Weber 38 DGES with Manual Choke kit

Crane XR700 Elec. Ignition

Bilstein HD shocks

Metric Mech. 4-speed transmission

Triple core radiator

Auxiliary electric fan

Clardy AC

E30 bottlecaps

E21 320is steering wheel

E21 Recaro seats (both passenger seats)

No-crack dash

Guest Anonymous

Probably up to a whopping $600 now total spent on it in the last year.

It's priceless to me.

Might get $500 on ebay right now. Give me another month or two and it will easily go for over $1K.

Guest Anonymous

still going strong at 211k...Think I got my money's worth; other than gas/oil, probably less than $2k in repairs over the years.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

1-1715336.jpg

Bought it in 2000 for around $3K, then started restoration. I have all of the receipts in a 3 ring binder, but I'm afraid to count it all up. Big ticket items include paint ($4K) in original color Glasurit, total engine rebuild (~$3K), and mechanical (suspension, etc.) replaced parts (maybe $4K?). I had to wait 1.5 years to get into the body shop, and the engine guy had the engine for about that same time as well (in both places, I was behind Bob Murphy in line!). So, once the engine guy was done, I had him do the installation and setup, which I was planning to do. That cost another bundle.

What's it worth? No idea, but I am sure it's not worth what I've got into it. I think maybe $10K, though I would never sell it for that. The deal I made with my S.O. about halfway through is that this would be my daily driver, and so I don't have a car payment, and I get to drive this car, which makes it all worthwhile, and also is good for the car. It's not a garage queen!

Happy Holidays!

Guest Anonymous

I found him badly wrecked...mangled in the front beyond recognition. Many of you have seen the pics. A good friend & I decided to buy it and split up the good parts, and part it out. Well, it's a long story but I ended up with the car for $1,400.00 Yes, I paid that much for a total wreck! But it was calling to me "John, Please Save Me....Save Me!!!". That was almost 3 years ago. Today after I'd say 400 to 500 hours (or more) sweat equity and a $6,000 paint job, Hugo is about 80% back together. Considering that I bought all the parts, including the sheet metal for the body shop, and without adding up the receipts (I'll never do that!), I'd say Hugo will easily be in the $15,000 to $20,000 range. But, hey, who's counting? Hping to get Hugo on the road this Spring or Summer.

Happy '02ing,

John

'72tii "Hugo" "Chamonix" tii#129