• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 Touring '74 from Belgium, full restoration project (Lots of pictures)

D.martijn

This Saturday we made more progress and should be able to weld in the two halves in for good.

We started of with reattaching the stud bracket to fix the car jack. I had ordered one from W&N but the stud itself was a lot shorter (it's just a Philips head bolt welded on to a plate). However I was able to scavenge this one of the cut up shell we once got for the Touring as a parts car/shell.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next up was spot welding the two halves of the left wheel well/shocktower together.

Very happy with the result, this is the reason why we decided to remove the outer wheel housing as well, so we could use the spot welder to weld them together!

First inner row done, the outer lip of the orange wheel well was sitting a little proud of the lip of the BMW panel.

With some bessy clamps we were able to move it a couple of mm more.

As some of you might notice, we didn't fully weld the wheel housing together (lower reinforcement section). We still need to have some wiggle room to persuade the lip a little bit more, some pictures later on will make this clear.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Other side

spacer.png

The genuine BMW panels comes with some clamps welded onto it but on the wrong spots for the Touring model.

Luckily we already made loads of these clamps so we attached them on the correct side and place.

If you are interested in purchasing these clamps, I still have some.

spacer.png

With the correct chamfer to not cut the wires/wiring loom, just as originalspacer.png

spacer.png

And applied some paint on the welded areas

spacer.png

spacer.png

Last test fit in the car, should be able weld it in for good (finally!)

Just need to take some time to measure everything

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here you can see the lip of the orange panel sitting a little but to much to the rear of the car. We should be able to push this more to the front so everything aligns correctly

spacer.png

spacer.png

And the BIG gaping hole is closed! haha :D

spacer.png

• Like 2

Yesterday after work we welded in the left wheel well/shock tower in for good.

Using the spotwelder to weld the genuine panel to the flange of the floor, innersill and rear subframe mount flanges.

The inner sill and floor got stitch welded to the shock tower panel as well.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And finally a couple of stitch welds on the outside edge to connect it to the inside quarter panel

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next up will be finishing the front right floor and left outer sill before we can attach the other side (subframe point and shock tower panel/wheel well)

Edited by D.martijn
  • Like 1

Friday I went to the workshop after work to start prepping the right front floor. 

I also test fitted the left outer sill now that the rear shocktower and outer wheel well are fitted.

Fit is pretty good, we'll have to mount the door again first (MVP new doors) and probably also the stainless steel trim? to check fitment.

spacer.png

We did have to trim a little bit of the rear side of the inner sill (we did this before we mounted the rear shocktower panel) when checking things out regarding the placement of everything. Is this something other people needed to do as well? Touring specific? as the rear arches are different than the sedans?

spacer.png

Inside of the framerail cleaned out, removed the surface rust and some old paint. Decided to use Brunox to treat the bare steel. 

spacer.png

Today I went back and started with painting the inside with a coat of corroless as well as the floor got corroless where the framerails sits.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Before welding in the floor panel, I needed to replace the lower two clips for the firewall insulation pad.

One had broken off and the other was a little rusty/old

spacer.png

Then it was time to weld in the floor! Butt welding the new panel to the existing floor. It's not possible to use the spot welder to reach the flange that sits against the firewall so those will need to get plug welded.

spacer.png

I decided to use the spotwelder to weld the frame rail to the floor panel. However there was some gap between the frame rail and new floor. I had to get a little inventive to close said gap. :D

spacer.png

spacer.png

I still need to do a couple of spotwelds at the front but will need some assistance from my brother to do those.. 

As well as grinding down the welds, that will be for next weekend!

spacer.png

Floor ain't going no where, good weld penetration

spacer.png

On 4/22/2023 at 6:48 PM, D.martijn said:

I also test fitted the left outer sill now that the rear shocktower and outer wheel well are fitted.

Fit is pretty good, we'll have to mount the door again first (MVP new doors) and probably also the stainless steel trim? to check fitment.

The trim is the most unforgiving. To sit well it requires perfect alignment of the sill, quarter panel and front fender.

To be honest, that is the reason why I left the trim off from my 1502.

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

5 hours ago, Tommy said:

The trim is the most unforgiving. To sit well it requires perfect alignment of the sill, quarter panel and front fender.

To be honest, that is the reason why I left the trim off from my 1502.

Thanks for the reply @Tommy!

Doing a little research it looks like I have the wrong clips as well (white E21), luckily MVP seems to have made the original style clips again so I'll first get some of those.

• Like 1

Last weekend I noticed the fan of our welder turned on rather slow. The next day my brother noticed it didn't turn on at all. The local shop where we got the welder, made a quote to get a replacement fan (230V) 180€..

I decided to have a look at work since we do have some old parts laying around and found a 120x120 fan however with no labeling present.

Quick test with first a 12V power supply, nothing.. so I jumped straight to 230V AC and it begin to spin !

I took a couple of measurement of the housing of the welder and modelled a bracket to fit it inside.

Gave it a slight angle so it's blasting a little bit more towards the transformer as well.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Friday after work I managed to grind down the welds on the replacement floor pan that got welded in last weekend. Turned out pretty good. Later my brother also joined and we got last couple of spotwelds also in.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Today, we started with fitting the left sill. We decided to fit the door (MVP replacement doors) and fender + nose to get an overall look of how everything fit together.

We noticed the following, the MVP door has a crown to it compared to the rocker panel, having the door flush at the B pillar, the front corner of the door sits a lot more inwards. This is with the stainless steel trim presented on the car.

spacer.png

spacer.png

However the biggest issue we are having is that when we try to open the door it's hitting the rocker panel at the front of the car.

Door shut:

spacer.png

Not even half way open

spacer.png

Both new and old rocker panels are straight when we compare it with a steel profile

spacer.png

We also have some gap with our NOS fenders but I think we might be able to massage it a little

spacer.png

However, this has nothing to do with the height of the rocker really, so we decided to trim the quarter panel to fit the car. Before removing the old panel that overlaps the rocker panel, we scribed a line onto the body and measured to sharp bend/radius of the panel.

Carefully trimming the panel, we were able to match this measurement and leave a little gap for welding, however I did need to relieve cut the panel in the corner of the B sill as it did not line up all that well.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Overall fitment of the rocker panel and quarter panel repair panel

spacer.png

Hi, you've been doing a lot of work on your BMW since the beginning. Congratulations.S. I am in the middle of the restoration of a bmw 2002 Touring 1974 and I had done a topic since the purchase at currently on a French forum on bmwoldschool but which closed because of hacking.... I am currently stuck in parentheses because of the vertical seal of the rear window not found in Europe reference 51361831670. Good work and very nice presentation

On 4/30/2023 at 8:57 AM, pat774 said:

Hi, you've been doing a lot of work on your BMW since the beginning. Congratulations.S. I am in the middle of the restoration of a bmw 2002 Touring 1974 and I had done a topic since the purchase at currently on a French forum on bmwoldschool but which closed because of hacking.... I am currently stuck in parentheses because of the vertical seal of the rear window not found in Europe reference 51361831670. Good work and very nice presentation

Hello!

Thank you, we still have quite a road to go 

Very cool, consider making a topic here to document your restoration! There aren't many Tourings on this fourm.

I don't think I have that seal as spares, only got two for my touring.

Might need to consider glueing two regular sedan pieces together?

Hello, as soon as I have a little time, I will make a topic with my photos of my Touring. But it takes a little time 😅😂😅😂 with the French English translation!!!!

I ordered 3 joints on wallothnesch for the Sedan and try to properly glue the joints together. Of course with special glue tor joint loctite. Unfortunately, this is the only solution for our Touring. Is it possible to measure the length of your joints precisely please? With photos if possible of the shape and each end. Thank you very much. I will put photos of the result....

I'm also looking for the 2 bumpers of the Touring, it's worth a small fortune. In very good condition, impossible to find any. Or a French company manufactures them for 1550€ the 2 bumpers. It's abused the prices of parts.

Too bad mine are in very bad condition, rusty and incomplete

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We got a new addition to our workshop, a finger bending brake!

It was quite heavy (145kg) to load into the car but we managed to do so :D

I am waiting on some casters that I ordered so we can move it around. It'll get mounted on some wooden beams so it sits a little higher as well.

spacer.png

In the meantime I made a new rear subframe mount bushing for when we get to the right side of the car to renew this section.

First OP, turning the outside diameters and inside hole where the flange of the press bolt will sit against.

spacer.png

Second OP, facing the part to length, counter drilling and turning the inside diameter to size for the knurled bolt.

I checked the original bushing and matched the new one

spacer.png

And new one compared to the old. If someone needs the drawing feel free to send a PM!

spacer.png

• Like 2

We finally had some time to dig into the front left door not fitting quite right.

I started with measuring the doors on the bench, both left and right doors are pretty much equal.

Measuring from the flat plane where the door card sits against to the door corners, internal hinge plate, all within 1mm from eachother.

Being that the doors are the same, we mounted the front right door onto the car to check it's fitment.
spacer.png

And open, there is a lot more gap (the front section of the outer rocker is still missing tho!)
spacer.png

Test fitted the front right NOS wing, lines up beautifully with the door and nose panel

spacer.png 

Measuring the lower corner of the right door to the A pillar, we have almost 20mm

spacer.png

Doing this same measurement on the left side of the car it's obvious that it's a lot less. ~12mm

I did a little research before on a German 02 forum (it's about the hood not lining up with the door)
However in this thread there's someone saying that in the factory they bent the hinges to get a better fit
https://forum.bmw-02-club.de/index.php?topic=126931.0

We do have a couple of extra hinge parts and decided to test with those, Here you can clearly see the difference between top and bottom, it's quite a bit to be honest

spacer.png

I also noticed there was a slight bulge on the lower section of the A pillar however this doesn't impact the fitment of the door with the sill, I decided to make this flatter as well.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

After a lot more fitting and adjusting and checking with the rocker and without, with the rocker trim.

Measuring, comparing the other side.....

This is the final fitment of the door.spacer.png

The only thing that is now bothering us a little bit it the front section of the rocker trim. as you can see, the door goes still towards the inside of the car, However I don't know if this is meant to be like this? Could someone check their car and also measure like the second picture below? Unfortunately we didn't have the right side rocker trim with us in the workshop, we'll probably test fit this one tomorrow.

spacer.png

~5mm

spacer.png

I'm also interested in a couple of pictures showing how much of a gap there is when the door is open.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Were getting pretty close to weld in the outer sill and quarter panel now.
I started on preparing the rocker panel, removed the factory black coating where we will be welding and scuffed up the surfaces and applied two coats of Corroless

We pushed the door a little more towards the outside, but asking a couple of other people that have an 02, it seems that soms of them also have this "issue". The other side is a bit better on our Touring as well.
But pushing the door even more outside, it will mess up the alignment at the B pillar.

spacer.png

We might bring the door a little bit higher, but overall it's pretty good now

spacer.png

spacer.png

When test fitting the quarter panel in the end I trimmed it a little bit too much and have just a smidge too wide of a gap. My brother suggested to place a brass strip behind the quarter with some slots in it.
This was we can clamp the original and new repair panel together with the little clamps

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

In the meantime, we decided to go with dual solex carburators on the Touring.

We found a full "kit" in Germany that includes pretty much everything, carbs, airfilter housing, throttle linkages..
I already found a guy that is reproducing the Ti water pipe as well. We just need to find a Ti/Tii brake booster but I might have already found a guy, he just needs to have a look but is on vacation right now.

spacer.png

Of course we will also need the correct distributor with the mechanical advance. I remembered we had a couple of spare distributors laying in the attic and would you have a look! We got the correct one, it's meant to be hahah :D

spacer.png

spacer.png

I also got the rain gutter trim of the 02 Touring from Walloth&Nesch since it's been available again!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Parts run..

I was able to find a 02TI/TII brake booster for when we swap over the the dual solex carbs in our 2002 Touring.

It's still in pretty good shape and has the original sticker still on it, it's hard to make out the numbers but it's the correct one. I was able to get it for a very reasonable price (250€)

spacer.png

spacer.png

The same seller was also selling a sunroof for a BMW E12, when comparing the part numbers the early E12 used the same sunroof as the 02 Touring! (Tourings sunroof is bigger then the sedan)

It's in a lot better condition than our roof

spacer.png

spacer.png

And finally I got some new hinges, the ones we had were a little mangled also the slotted holes got deformed quite a bit..

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We finally managed to get the outer rockerpanel welded onto the car after not being able to work on the car for a few weekends..

We first spot welded some of the metal clamps I made with the 3D printed die to hold the wiring against the inner rocker panel.

Then we fitted the rocker panel and rear quarter panel one last time to check for fitment and finally it was time to weld it on with the spotwelder! I can't imagine having to drill so many holes and having the plug weld them.

This is way faster and cleaner. Although welding this many spotwelds does cause the machine to get quite hot.

spacer.png

Close up of the spotwelds, looking good

spacer.png

For now we only spotwelded a couple places on the underside since the machine did get a little hot. The rest will be for the next time

spacer.png

Front section of the rocker plug welded since there is no way to reach the inside with the spot welder.

I stil need to weld the horizontal edge to the A pillar

spacer.png

spacer.png

Rear section of the rocker. We did have to shorten one of the electrodes a little otherwise it would touch the quarter panel.

spacer.png

Top flange fully welded

spacer.png

spacer.png

My brother had to leave a little early so I started on welding in the small corner patch panel for the quarter panel.

It took some time previously to get the shape right, in the end we made 4 of these panels and the last one was the only one usable. We started from a flat sheet of metal and shrunk one side, to then tip it over with some rod with a groove cut into it. After some more shaping we managed to get the correct shape.

I still needed to adjust the flange of the replacement quarter panel a little as well but happy with the result in the end.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And ground smooth. we do have quite a bit of gap between the two panels but I had to make a little cut in at the little triangle since the radiuses didn't line up. Which cause the gap to be even bigger..

spacer.png

Next time we should be able to weld in the quarter panel, being careful to not warp it while welding...

Edited by D.martijn
  • Like 4