• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I posted this in the Pacific Northwest group, but I thought maybe someone in the general forum might have suggestions too. Some low-life scum backed into my front grill at a grocery store and took off; leaving the kidney grill with a dent, and the body that is above and around the kidney grill creased and pushed in a bit.

It's fully covered by insurance; but I have the option of going with Gerber here in seattle; USAA's preferred provider (who did a lousy job matching colors for me on a previous job) or finding my own body place. My question is for people in Seattle; does anyone have experience with a good body shop in seattle that the'd recommend for this work? Someone with experience with '02s and maybe sourcing '02 parts?

If you know of a good place please reply! or send me a PM...

Thanks so much!

Edited by lazerfred

Eurotech in Kirkland comes highly recommended. Not cheap, but supposed to be worth every penny. Lots of high $$$ Porsche work keeps them busy so they may not be able to get you in right away.

Haury's in Lake City is supposed to be good as well. NBCBird just got his car back from a full respray. Maybe PM him for his experience. The shop owner is a BMWCCA driving school instructor and has a very nice turbo e36 M3.

American Autobody and Paint in Renton- I've seen a few full repaints done here. Nice driver quality for the cost. JR is honest and good to work with. Metal work capabilities are limited, but JR will tell you if there's too much for them. Be sure to discuss exactly what you want when getting the bid. I had my floors done here would've liked them done differently. I would've paid more for it but I didn't think to discuss upfront.

I bet Gerber will decline to work on an old car. Most corporate shops prefer to just stick to newer car collision work.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

On April 22, 2016 at 9:36 PM, bento said:

American Autobody and Paint in Renton- I've seen a few full repaints done here. Nice driver quality for the cost. JR is honest and good to work with. Metal work capabilities are limited, but JR will tell you if there's too much for them. Be sure to discuss exactly what you want when getting the bid. I had my floors done here would've liked them done differently. I would've paid more for it but I didn't think to discuss upfront.

* please see my last post - American Auto agreed to repair all work & refunded the subcontracted work that failed *

Just fyi i am having some troubles with American Auto correcting assembly mistakes made in the shop.  Was very happy about their paint and body work but have about 2k worth of errors on headliner, sunroof and windshield.  Been talking with Junior about it but not getting much response back. Preparing to write a formal letter to the owner to see if they will honor redoing the work elsewhere.  Bottom line they are a good paint shop but would hesitate recommending them beyond that.  My hope is they will come through on honoring these repairs and if so I will sing their praise on the faq. (YES I CAN RECOMMEND)

You may also want to check out Fenders and Fins - Ive heard good things but have not had work done.

Edited by rdeeble

'76 02 (Nellie) daily driver since '94

'76 02 (Oscar) sunroof restore since '10

I'll second the recommendation for Eurotech in Kirkland.  Mark knows 02s; he restored a Tii for his daughter and one of their strengths is matching color.  He restored and painted my 3.0CS and did a superb job.  Since it is an insurance claim, there's no reason to settle for anything but the best quality.  They use glasurit and mix on site.

Bill 

1973 3.0 CS Nachtblau

1970 2002 Chamonix

1965 1800 Chamonix

I think i saw your car on their site! Yeah, they are the one's I called. Right now someone from USAA is coming to assess my car tomorrow morning. Then I will take it to eurotech and see if it works with their budget; then, I guess, assuming that there will be a wide gulf in prices, I will work with the two to slog it out. But yeah, they definitely seem like the right folks! I will be definitely looking to them in the future as well whenever I earn enough moulah to do a full restore!

• 3 weeks later...

* please see my last post - American Auto has agreed to repair all work & provide a refund on the subcontracted work that failed *

Edited by rdeeble

Seattle folks - I am really pleased to say that I visited American Auto Paint yesterday and they went above and beyond to correct the situation with my car including an immediate partial refund to get my headliner, sunroof and glass installation done with an outside shop of my choice.  In addition to the refund they made an appointment to correct any body issues or paint flaws that I was experiencing.

Furthermore it appears that American had responded to my initial concern several weeks ago long (before I filed a BBB complaint) but that their letter and enclosed check was lost by USPS.  I stood in the office as the owner called the bank to cancel the original check and reissue a second.  The entire experience was non defensive and apologetic.  Bottom line I am really impressed with their honesty and willingness to make a situation right.  I went to them as a good driver quality shop that is willing to do restoration work.  And while I can say they could of been a little more careful in examining the work prior to having me pick it up - they are honest and willing to work with customers to get it right in the end.  That means a lot.

Edited by rdeeble