• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebuilt Engine + Transmission For sale: 2.3l bored, stroked, dual weber 45 BEAST

areallygoodname

The motor in my 2002, which was built by renowned M10 stroker builder Eric Kerman, has very similar specs, with a few minor differences.  I ditched the S14 head gasket as it doesn't flow coolant as well as a stock 2002 gasket does in an M10 block mated with an M10 head.  To address the larger bore of the 92mm forged pistons in my motor, I went with a custom Cometic M10 head gasket. 

Like yours, my motor has a Schrick 292 cam, dual 45s (and I've fitted a variety of different length stacks, different bore chokes, and intake manifolds over the years in an effort to squeeze more power out of the motor), Ireland header and exhaust.  The E12 head in mine is port matched with the intake and exhaust manifolds.  I've dialed in the 123 tune ignition, and have spent three years of weekends tuning and tweaking to get everything out of my motor.  Mine might produce 175 hp, but that's about it.  With all due respect to you and your engine builder, I can't see how a slight increase in displacement in your motor would result in an extra 25-45 hp over a very similar motor.  The hp curve of the Schick 292 cam starts to dip before 6500 rpm, so it won't be gained by revving past the 6500 rpm redline. There might be some improvements possible from bench flowing the head, but that's an expensive undertaking, and isn't mentioned in your post. And while higher compression could also increase output, mine's at 10.1:1, and you aren't likely to be able to run a carburated motor on 93 octane above 10.3:1. Increasing compression ratio from 10.1 to 10.3 would net 0.9 hp.

Your motor sounds like a great street/track beast. It'll have gobs of torque down low relative to a stock 2 liter M10, and it'll produce significantly more hp than a stock 2 liter M10. But 200 hp is a stretch, and 220 is highly unlikely. Remember that a stock S14, which had a 7k redline and dual overhead cam, was 192 hp. A 9k rpm race M10 with 12.5:1 compression, a Schrick 336 cam, DCO 50s and a full race exhaust can produce 200-220 hp, but it'll only run on 110 octane. 

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

24 minutes ago, williamggruff said:

Your motor sounds like a great street/track beast. It'll have gobs of torque down low relative to a stock 2 liter M10, and it'll produce significantly more hp than a stock 2 liter M10. But 200 hp is a stretch, and 220 is highly unlikely. Remember that a stock S14, which had a 7k redline and dual overhead cam, was 192 hp. A 9k rpm race M10 with 12.5:1 compression, a Schrick 336 cam, DCO 50s and a full race exhaust can produce 200-220 hp, but it'll only run on 110 octane. 

You are a wealth of knowledge! Difference from my builder doing the work - vs. myself = not as knowledgable. Great insights across the board. I'll edit the post accordingly. 

next question:  why would you divorce this engine from its original car body?

offer the car with it, perhaps.

then start all over with more sane demands.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I just spent a considerable amount of time and money working with 2002garagewerks to develop my 2.3L S10 engine. (S14 block + M10 head). There is a substantial difference between the S14 & M10 blocks! I am not aware of anyone making/installing sleeves into an M10 block for 94mm bore. I would be very interested in knowing more. If this was attainable, everyone would be doing it. My experience says 94mm in a M10 is dangerously thin. 

My next observation is low compression E21 head + flat top pistons = high hp? Again I would like to know more about your math. 

Beautiful looking engine, just trying to keep it real. Your pic of the crank looks like a stock rebuild. All M10 components. Stock hardware. No indication of machine work or sleeving at the bottom of the cylinder bores. 

My hot rod M10 with 292 cam and dual 40s was a blast.

My current setup is a custom machined S14 block with lighted, knife-edged S14 crank, custom high compression pistons & H-beam rods, ARP fasteners throughout, big valve, ported/polished/matched E12 head, Pete McHenry 316 cam, full MSD ignition, step header & dual 45 Dellortos. It's a BEAST for sure but I don't think I'm getting the numbers you are suggesting.  

caveat emptor

Edited by jdeitch

1975 Polaris 2002 (RAT 02E), 1962 mini Cooper S

1994 Land Cruiser - expedition vehicle, 2012 VW Touareg TDI.
2002 restoration blog - http://rato2e.blogspot.com/

13 minutes ago, jerry said:

next question:  why would you divorce this engine from its original car body?

offer the car with it, perhaps.

then start all over with more sane demands.

I don't own the chassis. It's not like I've separated a numbers matching vehicle. I got a chassis without an interior or engine, then procured an engine and had it built out. THEN someone gave me an S14 and Getrag 265 so that's the route I'm taking with the car. 

11 minutes ago, jdeitch said:
12 minutes ago, jdeitch said:

I just spent a considerable amount of time and money working with 2002garagewerks to develop my 2.3L S10 engine. (S14 block + M10 head). There is a substantial difference between the S14 & M10 blocks! I am not aware of anyone making/installing sleeves into an M10 block for 94mm bore. I would be very interested in knowing more. If this was attainable, everyone would be doing it. My experience says 94mm in a M10 is dangerously thin. 

My next observation is low compression E21 head + flat top pistons = high hp? Again I would like to know more about your math. 

Beautiful looking engine, just trying to keep it real.

My hot rod M10 with 292 cam and dual 40s was a blast.

My current setup is a custom machined S14 block with lighted, knife-edged S14 crank, big valve, ported/polished/matched E12 head, Pete McHenry 316 cam, full MSD ignition, step header & dual 45 Dellortos. It's a BEAST for sure but I don't think I'm getting the numbers you are suggesting.  

For starters - it's not my math. Phone game here. Engine builds tells me. I decide to sell. I repeat. Williamggruff pointed out the HP I was told it could produce was incorrect so I've edited the listing accordingly. 

Engine builder took this route and the pistons are definitely 94MM. As to wether or not this is too thin? I wouldn't know. You and williamggruff know more about these than I do. 

More for personal curiosity - is it impossible to rebuild an E21 head and change compression? What should I ask the builder to find out exactly how he built it?

I would say it's certainly possible to get 10:1 compression with an E21 head and flat top Pistons once you've increased the bore and stroke and shaved the head.  Compression will be increased by increasing the volume in the cylinder that gets displaced by the piston, while leaving the combustion chamber volume in the head unchanged.  Shaving the head reduces the volume of the combustion chamber in the head.  

For a stock 2002 with flat top pistons and an E21 head, compression is about 8.3:1. The displacement per cylinder is 500cc (1/4 of 2.0 liters.)  Compression ratio is calculated as (displacement + combustion chamber volume in the head) / combustion chamber volume in the head.  Solving for our 8.3:1 example gives us a combustion chamber volume in the head of 68.5cc.  Increasing the displacement in the cylinder to 575cc (1/4 of 2.3 liters) yields a compression ratio of 9.4:1.  Then, by shaving the head to reduce the combustion chamber in the head to 63cc, you get 10:1 compression. Not sure how much shaving is necessary to get there.

Edited by williamggruff

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

• 3 weeks later...

Wait !!      I want to go back to the comment about somebody giving you an S14 and a Getrag 245  That's an $ 8,000 gift

If I had that happen  that's the direction I would be going too even if I had to put another  $ 8,000 into rebuilding it

Most of us can't even think of doing an M20 conversion  You won the lottery

• 2 weeks later...