• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OT: planning a new garage, need some advice (very long)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Can you give me a brief rundown on where I might have issues with these regulations? I certainly want to stay on the good side of public officials and my neighbors.

No throw pillows here! Only a few mini-blinds to thwart prying eyes and just enough comfort so that I can escape and relax when I need to. The TV will only show car stuff and the radio will only play Car Talk.

Thanks,

Karl

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

he is not gonna have that much space.

He needs to identify his needs, wants and fantasy type desires and plan accordingly. I am all for dreaming but when it comes down to it be realistic.

Not everyone has the means to build a garage as second palace. I persoanlly would rather place my time, effort, money, and expertise in my car as opposed to a garage. My ultimate garage which my become a reality soon will be a converted airplane hanger, the ultimate expression of function over fashion.

Guest Anonymous

Checking local zoning regulations, covenants, neighbourhood restrictions, determining the lot coverage, max. buildable envelope, easments, setbacks, public and privately own utility corridors with respect to property lines, Historic societys, restrictions regarding old indiginous trees, shubs, and lets not forget beach/park access. A visit to your friendly building dept. determining what exactly you can and can't do with 'your' property is always a fun time. I remember a certain county building dept. offical basically telling me unless I grease the county supervisor to give the authorization he was not going to allow squat to happen with a certain property. Owner was very pissed off that he wasn't allowed to do what he wanted as he was the owner!

Guest Anonymous

Checking local zoning regulations, covenants, neighbourhood restrictions, determining the lot coverage, max. buildable envelope, easments, setbacks, public and privately own utility corridors with respect to property lines, Historic societys, restrictions regarding old indiginous trees, shubs, and lets not forget beach/park access. A visit to your friendly building dept. determining what exactly you can and can't do with 'your' property is always a fun time. I remember a certain county building dept. offical basically telling me unless I grease the county supervisor to give the authorization he was not going to allow squat to happen with a certain property. Owner was very pissed off that he wasn't allowed to do what he wanted as he was the owner!

Guest Anonymous

The late Mr. Mockbee is a personal hero of mine. I've always admired those who defy conventional wisdom by the hands-on practice of their craft, as well as the mentoring of others. His recent acknowledgement by the AIA is a tribute to his sprit and memory.

Delia

Guest Anonymous

My idea is to keep this expensive tool as flexible as possible, getting the best return for your investment.

I have worked in both kinds of shops and, the two poster is a better solution. You could fabricate a pair of 'storage ramps' to let the two poster do double duty for 'roll on work' and car storage. 10-12 ceiling required where the lift is located only. Perhaps a 'clearstory' in the truss work for that area? Most likely

simpler to clear span from one wall to the other...

Currently, I do not have reciprocity in the state of Ohio. The local chapter A.I.A. would be able to help you identify (hopefully a 2002 owner) an individual to act as sounding board for your ideas and be able to hammer out plans for your project.

Even if you act as owner-builder do not skip lightly over these first steps as those that do suffer the consequences, costly embarrassments. You will have to endure an e-bitch slap from me - a fate certainly worse than death! And, your story will be archived the internet as 'a warning to all 2002 owners' and, the face of all architectural in the world will be forever scared....and so on....

So. I would reccomend a casual talk with the local building dept. It would disengenious to say that Ohio is the same as California regarding building requirements. Most departments are really honored to be able to contribute to the process esp. when approached early. If they say words like 'variance' and 'conditional use permit' or 'environmental impact report' then slowly back away from the counter......I would NOT reccomend making comments like 'I'll be bach' either! You never know what might happen... look at California as an example! Our cities have to cut back services and the building depts are going to raise the fees for construction!

Anyhow, good luck with your endeavour, make it something to be proud of..

John McA

Guest Anonymous

Two fire poles. When the kids get older I'm gonna open em up.

Heard that some stat. says more fire fighters are injured sliding down fire poles

than by any other non emergency hazard.

Guest Anonymous

Sam M. was a natural genius.

Very easy to fall into the rut of convention. It pays the bills.

Go against the grain of convention requires very inovative thinking

as the first thing I notice when doing so, is a severe lack of pocket change.