• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OT: planning a new garage, need some advice (very long)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have had the chance to study and develop designs for, the shops and RD labs of really cool facilities and, get paid for it. I am always open new ideas and, salute your enthusiasm. Party on...please share your re-searched web stuff please....

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

Where's a place to store hostages when you need it quick?

Is there a way to expedite the inspection process?

I know, what was I thinking? AZ ain't Texas....

Guest Anonymous

There exist, a one piece garage door that rolls up and out (so the inside when closed becomes the roof of the shed when open) allowing one to park real close to it ...so be the first on your block...

Guest Anonymous

I was working on a multi-million dollar home in Napa that had a

similar contraption for the daughter that was paralized. It had two

parallel bars running very close to the ceiling along the length of

the room, on both sides, then a perpendicular bar going across

the room so she could be moved anywhere, with her remote

control.

Guest Anonymous

we hook up a bosun's chair to the gantry crane and take flying rides over the Ligo experiment mock ups.

Thats what good drugs are for, man......

Guest Anonymous

My apologies for not including a reference to you and your previous info in my first post. I had intended to do so, but it slipped my mind. Please email me if you are interesting in working on this project or can recommend someone I should contact. I'm in Ohio.

BTW, I was planning on the 4-post lift so that I could store two cars in the garage as well as having a working lift. If storage were not an issue, I would prefer a two-post lift. Should I still consider a 2-post?

Thanks,

Karl

Guest Anonymous

I hope I didn't come across as some snob building a dream palace. I mean, I'd love to build a garage with all the trimmings, but this isn't an "open checkbook" project. There are just a few things I really want - a garage where I don't see my breath in the winter (I live in Ohio), not having to lie on a cold floor, and having enough light to see what I'm doing. The gravy would be enough space so I'm not always tripping over my crap and compressed air. Everything else is just a dream. But I'll keep dreaming. Thanks again to all of you.

Karl

Guest Anonymous

Check out Wirsbo - When we did my father's garage a few years ago we bought the tubing from Wirsbo here in MN.

BTW, his garage is 1200sqf and is heated with radiant floor -run off of an electric mini boiler on off-peak servive from the local power company at $.0395 per kWh. The tubing cost about $400 I don't remember the boiler cost, but there was a rebate through the power co.

Guest Anonymous

Requirements?

I hope you're friends with the local Fire Marshal.

Get a head start on this project. Buy him his favorite tonic for the Holidays.

If you want throw pillows or draperies in your garage, ask someone else.

Delia

Guest Anonymous

my buddy did this buy simply laying pvc pipes within the forms and pumping hot water thru them. It works great didn;t cost much and heating the slab is the kinda heat that keeps the extremeties warm. I also vote 2 post- much easier to work around. In terms of having other cars in the room it would actually free up space when it comes time to drag the tool box under the car- etc.

Guest Anonymous

make sure the contractor puts in a "built up" roof vs a truss roof so you can deck it in and have lotsa storage...and make sure the ceiling joists are 2x6 so you can put heavy stuff up there--maybe a couple of 2x8s if you're gonna pull engines. and lights in the attic.

Lotsa electric--outlets everywhere, including the ceiling for drop lights etc. And 220v for compressor, MIG etc. Easy/cheap to do now, harder later.

Insulate walls, and plenty of shallow (12" deep) floor-to-ceiling shelves for paint, fastners, wax etc.

And don't forget (VERY important)when the builder gives you dimensions of the garage, it's OUTSIDE dimensions, not inside. My detached garage is about 6" too short because of that.

If you have natural gas, you can buy a residential-sized gas ceiling-mounted heater that'll roast your socks off in about 20 minutes. It's called a "Hot Dog" or something like that. Or you can buy a kerosene powered torpedo heater--a 30k BTU model will do a nice job of warming a garage (with ceiling and insulation) on a cold Ohio winter's day...

Finally...build an extra bay so your friends can use your heated garage ;-)

Cheers from just down the road...

Mike