• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M10B18 question level 999 :)

Shifty1426

Hi Guys,

i would like to ask. I know that it's not 2002 car but have same engine. I have E30 M10B18 swapped from E28 (1984). It's EFI version. Starter working, ignition working too, but my problem is that fuel pump didn't work and also injetors did not open. If i manually start fuel pump (bridged relay voltage), i can hear that it work but still injectors didn't work. My friends think that problem is in distributor position sensor. But i can't found any info about this connection between this sensor and injetion. Everyone right that this sensor is connected only to ignition and ignition unit (siemens version). I think that wiring is connected well, only one cable that is at ECU unit ( 6 plug white connector with 3 used wires, tacho, ground and ignition i think) is not connected to car wiring. Anybody know something about this problem? Thank you.

E30 M10B18 ---- actually dead but i hope that someday fun week car :D

If your fuel pump is not working, your fuel pump relay is not working correctly. That relay not only turns on the fuel pump but also gives the ECU a tach signal. I think that your ECU is not getting a tach signal. It should be a black wire that is in the #1 position of the ECU connector.

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)

Fuel pump not working because she didn't get signal from relay. If i bridge it, the work. I found that i'm not connect connector C103 at ecu unit and there i have 3 wires Ignition pulse, combo relay ignition voltage, signal to eco meter (or maybe ignition, tacho, ground). So i think that this should be that problem because one wire ( combo relay ignition voltage) maybe can make this problem. You mean tach signal like cam position sensor? We change pump relay and it didn't work.

http://www.wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm

e30 318i etm.  Page 109 (19 in the pdf) shows it.  If the ignition control module

is not generating a tach signal, the fuel pump will only run when cranking.

If the relay is shot, or getting no power or ground, it probably won't ever run.

The etm will help you fix it.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks for replay. I found this pdf (https://www.google.cz/search?q=M10B18+wiring+diagram&biw=1048&bih=551&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi87vqC-K3LAhWCYJoKHdhBAJwQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=518i+wiring+diagram&imgrc=ut8K-afHFggA6M%3A)

and on last page is shown that distributor ( number 2) is conected to ignition module and from that is wire to connect between ecu unit and pump relay it is shown as TD (. Shoud be this wire in connector C103 at ecu unit?

I will read that page maybe there is more info about that.

EDIT: On your pdf is shown wire from C103 to C104 (it to pump relay as power input) should be this my problem? I don't have connected this connector.

Edited by Shifty1426

Yeah, that could do it.  Meter the pump relay pin 16 and see if it's getting power.  I only found the E30 diagram- your 518 engine MIGHT get power a different way.

You can use a meter to make sure that the wires are connected correctly- just check for continuity between the pin 1 on (say) the fuel pump relay, and pin 16 of the ignition module.

I went through this a few years back with 2 different generations of E30 harnesses- the pins in the connectors and the wire colors varied, even though the functions were identical.

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I told this problem to one friend and he said to me that problem should be also no power to ECU. This is little bit stupid, becasue when i did harnesss i didn't tested this :D

Yeah, I left the main relay out of the E30 once... the wire off the distributor more than once... the crank  position sensor unhooked...

It all happens.

Especially when you're in a hurry OR are sure "I know I did that, I don't need to check it...."

heh

t

SOOoo toady i was with car few hours. ECU is under power, main relay get power too. But problem is that that whole injection system didn't. I think that is wire 15 on pump relay. Where this wire should go?

Wire is connected and pump wortking, but still injectors are dead :/. I'm lost guys. I downloaded few ETM's but i don't know for what i need to search. Injectors are connected to pump relay to pin 87 and on 87b is connected pump. This two pins should be connected together inside the relay. So this is not maybe that problem, and the other side is connected to ECU. I don't what everything affects working of injectors.

Hmm.  So the red/white wire gets 12v when the fuel pump relay energizes?  Have you metered this at the injector?

That just leaves the ECU itself- it doesn't need much to get it going, and you've confirmed it has power- check its grounds on pins 5 &13, too, just for good luck!

Then I'd make sure it's really getting engine rev signal from the dizzy...

hth

t

No i don't. I need to check that. Yes it' left only ECU, and check that RD/WH wire to injectors. But how i said, on the relay pin 87(injectors) and 87b(pump) should be connected inside. So i think that this should be fine. I try to make some easy ECU pinout and find that on the ECU should be 3 grounds, pin 5,13 and 25. Pin 1 should be from dizzy ( when rotate key to 1.position on this pin is energy). Pin 4 should be starter signal (BK/Y wire). How i post before at ecu connector is 6pin connector (maybe c104) and have 3 wires. Green was signal for pump relay, than here is black/blue from harnness should be tacho and brown/yellow from ecu, should be connected also injectors and is different for few diagarams on internet. On few is like ground for injectors and on another is fuel rate for economy gauge.

PS: Should be grounded case of ECU? While testing it's sits on floor at passenger carpet.

Edited by Shifty1426

• 3 years later...