• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E-Brake Handle Installation

tsepanik

Over this weekend I was replacing E-Brake cables and ended up taking off the lever to make my life easier, except the part where the handle was a pain to reinstall. As I was trying to figure out how it went back together, I figured out I could assemble it outside the car, and put a 1/4in drive 10mm socket in the base where the large pin goes, and that would hold everything together. After doing that I just set it in place and pushed the socket out with the pin as I drove it in. Made everything much easier. I figured I'd share so others can get it done more easily.

Attached picture that helped a ton.

post-48300-0-71623400-1445265239_thumb.j

Tim

'72 2002 Verona

Great tip!  

Ingenious use of a socket for "slave pin".  

For the brake booster replacement job, the "bitch clip" goes on the passenger side of things, but aligning the parts is a huge PITA.  I put an extra booster pin in backwards to hold the levers into place so I can fit the pin in from the driver's side.  Works everytime...

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

You gotta have that extra pin, or just use a lot cussing...

Put the slave pin about 1/2 way thru; just enough to hold the brake pedal lever in place. I use a thin piece of wire around the pins to keep them from falling into the nether-reaches... Having a small, telescoping magnet helps guide that pin into place.  Get it started, then I use a flat-bladed screwdriver to lever it into place, driving the slave pin out.  I use small wire to retain the bitch clip while I'm placing it, as well...you will drop it a couple of times...

google search 'bitch clip" and find the thread where we talk about the job...

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool