• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunroof help?

So, I am building my sunroof on my car I have never seen together, been collecting parts from our favorite suppliers and now I am stumped.  I got that little gasket/seal/black mystery rubber thing that is about 47" long and I am having a real hard time figuring out where it goes.  At 47" it is barely long enough to go around half of the sunroof opening, so what is it doing up there anyway?

Thanks, Larry

me too chargin and I see the little black rubber strip in the sixth picture down and I can see it does not go around the whole opening (or whole hole) though in this blog it seems to be longer than mine.  Why does in not go around the back I am asking.

By the way that is a beautiful write up! I refer to it constantly.

Thanks, Larry

If you are talking about the sunroof seals there is one thing on that build thread that was brought to my attention as being incorrect, there are two seals - a front and rear- because the front section is attached to the body and the shorter rear section is attached to the sunroof panel. Hope that helps, good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1976 2002 Fjordblau (currently Verona, 3rd owner)

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

Too many steering wheels

If you are referring to the thin, rubber U-channel gasket piece, it is supposed to be pressed around the sides and rear of the roof opening. I'm presuming to help prevent the headliner from tearing on the somewhat sharp edge.  The new piece I ordered was too short so I had to cut a short piece from the original gasket.

Picture taken from driver's side.  New gasket on right (too short) with remainder cut from old piece (on left).

IMG_9783_zpssf5bv3yq.jpg

Here is where it stops at the leading edge

IMG_9784_zpsoq9b5ehk.jpg

Their may be a cloth covering on the front portion

IMG_9782_zpsc1rrx6ss.jpg

Here are some of the sunroof parts I removed.  Note the U-channel rubber gasket (U-shaped) is placed on the floor backwards. The open portion should be toward the front of the car.

59EA874C-07D8-46BB-8A95-E8E88B147FF2_zps

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Thanks Jim, you're the best.  Your attention to detail every time you post something is just impressive.

Gee thanks Larry.  Just trying to help others like they have helped me many times before.  As Keith Kreeger found out (my2002tii.com), there isn't much official information on the Golde sunroofs.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"