• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

early bumper conversion question

PetrolJunky

Hello,

I bought an early rear bumper (euro), and I would like to put it on my 74tii.

The issue is that I have no idea where to get the side mounts where the bumper slides onto.

I have the rear brackets that look like this..

______

\______

And I am just needing whatever goes on the side, any pointers would be a great help... also is there a easy way to know where the holes need to be drilled in the side panels?

Thanks!

Matt

Current: nada

Sold: 1974 Inka 2002tii ($15,500), 1974 Polaris 2002tii ($8k), 1975 Polaris 2002 ($1,800), 1973 Colorado 2002 ($10k), 1967 Sahara 1600 ($11,500), F10 //M5 ($42k), E60 //M5 ($15,500)

Classic Car Scrapper: https://petroljunky.com

I have the rear brackets that look like this..

you didn't attach a pic so it's not really clear what you're looking for...the front & rear chrome bumpers consist of 3 parts, the middcle section, each end and you'll need appropriate brackets to mount them....then optionally there are a few types of "bumperettes" or over riders for the front...

you'll have to drill holes in the frame in front to attach the brackets as well as drilling the rear tail panel to hang the rear...

what part are you looking for

It will also make a difference if you have the short (pre modell 71) end pieces or the long ones used on mid-71-73 cars.  The latter ones have a rubber insert along the bumper's trailing edge, while the early bumpers lack this.  

You're also gonna have a row of holes in the sheet metal where the filler piece that goes between your original bumper and the body.  Those will have to be filled or you'll have water leaking into your trunk.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I've recently completed this conversion. I've posted numerous pics and info here on the FAQ regarding the process. PM me your contact info and I'll give you a call and answer any of your questions.

FYI - Fuel tank needs to be removed for the rear bumper conversion.

post-39742-0-18104500-1429681825_thumb.j

post-39742-0-41638100-1429681930_thumb.j

post-39742-0-69991000-1429681989_thumb.j

1975 Polaris 2002 (RAT 02E), 1962 mini Cooper S

1994 Land Cruiser - expedition vehicle, 2012 VW Touareg TDI.
2002 restoration blog - http://rato2e.blogspot.com/