• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stupid Flywheel Question

chad

I finally got a round to pulling the old 4sp of my old M10 to see what flywheel I have and to determine if I can use it in my M20 swap.  I measured the diameter of the clutch contact surface and it is approximately 228mm (definitely not 215mm).  I have ready somewhere that M10  228mm flywheel is identical to the M20 228mm single mass.  Can anyone confirm this?  

I am assuming that if this is the case, I can use this M10 228mm flywheel, E30 325i clutch kit, and E30 325i throwout bearing?  Or can I just use the existing M10 clutch and PP and just pick up a E21 323i throwout bearing, similar to the typical 5sp swap in 02s?  

Edited by chad

Ah, no.  You run into trouble with the ring gear, at least, because they're SLIGHTLY different sizes and gear pitches.

I think you need to match the flywheel to the transmission you use- as in, the G260 wants an E30 flywheel, not a 2002 version.

I do not know about the 'set up height' of the friction surface nor the diaphragm fingers

Yes, the pressure plate and friction plate are similar in diameter and do bolt together interchangably

with the E30 single mass stuff.  The friction surface of the

2002 friction plate is less wide- as in, the inner diameter of the friction material's a bit larger.

But it works just fine- I have a 2002 friction plate in the E30 race car because the racing version

didn't work with the pressure plate I had.  It's lasted 3 seasons so far...

As to the throwout, I DO remember they're darned similar, and that I measured them, but I don't remember the result-

I had a LOT of similar- but- not- identical parts floating around at that point, and I measured it all, but

the box that it's all recorded in is buried out in the shed.  Underneath a LOT of other crap...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL