• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kindness Of Strangers: Flat Tire

jgerock

Driving home today on the 495 Beltway, my TPS illuminated for the RR tire on my Honda Pilot just before my exit so I slowed down, rolled down the RR window and tilted the outside mirror down.  Within 1 minute, the familiar roar of a flat tire made me slow to a crawl on the exit ramp then stop.  I proceeded to start changing the now flat RR tire when a small car (Hyundai Excel?) pulled over in front of me and backed up.  I started loosening the lug nuts when "Henry" said he had a floor jack in his car.  He jacked up the RR and I swapped the flat for the spare. I was grateful and we said goodbye with a fist bump (my hands were filthy) and I wish I had some cash to offer him.  Henry said he was a mechanic and had just worked on the brakes of a Honda Pilot this week.

I drove home and found (2) screw holes in the tire. Both are plugged and tires swapped again -  in my driveway using my floor jack.

F1AC7729-D140-4120-B051-5AEB73EF9F60_zps

Thanks to Henry!  I will pass it on.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Nice Jim. The new X3 has run flats. Somewhere in the 15,500 miles, since January, we picked up a screw in the RR tire. Was able to get it repaired at a local 'discount tire' place.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Nice, Jim. Night before last I ran over something in the E24, which I was going to drive to work yesterday until I noticed the RF was flat. Pulled the wheel in the garage and stuck the spare on instead of putting a jackstand under the car. Spare looks original and seems to have never been on the ground. Note the three letters ;-)

Cheers,

post-9251-0-37227200-1411017522_thumb.jp

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

• 2 weeks later...

Run flats work.

My wife's R50 mini has run flats.  She hit something on the interstate - a big piece of wood I think - and it tore a chunk out of the tire.  A hole about 1 inch in diameter.  She was able to drive it somewhere and get a new tire.  Yay run flats.

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.