• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E36 M3 Vs. E46 330I

AustrianVespaGuy

All opinions valid, just speak your mind!  I'm looking for a new daily driver (replacing current Subaru Impreza wagon) and I think I want one of the ~3L inline sixers.  I'm looking to spend around $8,000-$10,000 for something in decent shape around the 100K mile mark.  I think and E36 328is, E36 M3, E46 330i, and maybe even an E46 ZHP would all be good candidates, though I'm probably much less likely to find the right 328 or ZHP than the M3 or 330.  In any case, what are your opinions on the matter, my trusted 02 colleagues?  What are your experiences with any of these (or other similar suggestions)? What have you loved or hated about any of the above?  Thanks for sharing!

-Carl

I have a '97 M3 I bought Dec 21, 2001. It's a great car. Some may complain about E36s, yet I've had very few problems with it. I did have the plastic impeller water pump replaced with a high volume Stewart with a stainless impeller. Also has a Dinan exhaust, cold air intake, throttle body and stage 3 software. All the Dinan stuff makes it a lot of fun to drive.

As long as the maintenace has been kept up and E36 will serve you well.

Had a friend with a 4 door E46 330xi, she loved the car. It had more base horsepower than the E36 M3 and handled about as well.

May want to consider a 2004-2010 BMW X3. We had a 2004, that was my wife's daily driver until January 2, 2014. Best car we've ever owned.

Edited by adawil2002

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

from owning three e36's and one e46, i would not buy another e46.  everything frickin' breaks on them....many things can only be diagnosed with diagnostic machine at bmw dealers (not the ones you can buy for home use)

my favorite...my 97 E36 M3 4dr. ordered and bought it new in late 96 as one of the first 4drs to be imported.  no dinan stuff on it.  total hoot to drive and embarrasses a lot of cars on a track in completely stock form.  have had zero issues with it.

2xM3

I think the 3-series keep getting better. Mom had an E36 but the interior disintegrated. I think that's the weakest point. E90's may be a bit out of your price range but they're quite good too.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

e46's were the first 3 series that were so totally connected.  windows, mirrors, door locks, hvac, engine, srs, radio, etc..all connected.  as a diy guy, that drives me nuts.  it you go down the list of common problems e46's have (and it is long) my 325it has checked every box.

if going for an e36 m3, get a lux version. it was an option in 96+ models iirc.  these had leather door cards and are immune from the common door card issues normal m3's have.

2xM3