• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where To Go For Dipping, Ecoating In Mi????

BMW2002_74

I know what I want but I don't believe in open end checks..........also, I spoke with this company a view years ago and to me the person was very arrogant  .......I guess they think they're the only game in restoration for BMW 2002's?

When I get ready I would submit just the body with all parts, interior, glass, subframes... removed then see how much it would cost from different entities.

They sub out the dipping, epoxy coating and paint, so for your purposes you might try to find who they use (and whatever other vendors you can find).

As for the Werk Shop, they do very nice work, and they are very expensive.  For this particular car, and with my current (lack of) available time and space, that was the right trade for us.

If you have the bandwidth and space, you can certainly GC it yourself and end up, as Keith (http://www.my2002tii.com/)%C2'> many others on this have done, with a great car.

Please take a lot of pics and let us know how it turns out.

J

74 2002tii (Sputter) - Not entirely stock - Over 18K miles since full restoration in 2014

15 BMW X5 diesel (the bombed out roads of Houston finally won)

What type/kind of sound proofing did the Werk Shop install under the carpets/elsewhere?

We used Dynamat or the equivalent.  I wasn't able to track down the manufacturer.  Image of the floor is attached.

FWIW, a post restoration 2002 (or at least this one), is still really loud due to wind noise around the windows/doors.

J

post-39317-0-68389000-1406589118_thumb.j

74 2002tii (Sputter) - Not entirely stock - Over 18K miles since full restoration in 2014

Are your pictures in order?  Did they ecoat then work rear body panels??  

Not sure of your budget, but have you considered contacting Matt and the guys at Sports Car Restoration (SCR) in CT?  Here is some of the crew during the Vintage NC event in 2010.  I have seen some of the cars they work on in person.  pics5292010079.jpg

http://sports-car-restoration.com/

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

They sub out the dipping, epoxy coating and paint, so for your purposes you might try to find who they use (and whatever other vendors you can find).

As for the Werk Shop, they do very nice work, and they are very expensive.  For this particular car, and with my current (lack of) available time and space, that was the right trade for us.

If you have the bandwidth and space, you can certainly GC it yourself and end up, as Keith ( many others on this have done, with a great car.

Please take a lot of pics and let us know how it turns out.

J

Sounds like they just disassemble, bodywork and reassemble vehicle ....... :rolleyes:  I'm just looking for the bodywork where needed in terms of welding and blocking out body....... ;)

Presently, started working on 2002 that's been in storage for about 27 years and the first step is getting it running followed by restoring suspension then I'll be ready for the body. Engine is still new rebuild (DCOE's, 292, Stahl, larger valves...) which maybe has 100miles on it...... :)

Edited by BMW2002_74

They actually did quite a bit of welding patching the rust holes and fabricating missing bits post-dip.  The really crazy stuff included all of the blasting and replating of a jillion little metal bits that came off of the car.

J

Sounds like they just disassemble, bodywork and reassemble vehicle ....... :rolleyes:  I'm just looking for the bodywork where needed in terms of welding and blocking out body....... ;)

Not 100% sure, but I thought someone here on the FAQ had their car treated by a company during the restoration process.

That would be me (Otis).  I use ChemStrip in Forestville MD and then take the results to Niles Manufacturing in Ohio.  Been doing that for years; about ready to start the '67 Peugeot on the same process.  Haven't been in a couple of years, however, so I hope everyone is still in business.

http://chemstripmd.com/Capabilities.htm

www.nilesmfg.com

Would like see pictures of the work..........Curious on where many are replacing and how they cutting out especially front and rear panels?

Areas that were replaced:

- Trunk lid

- Center section of rear end (between the tail lights)

Areas that had sections patched/fabricated:

- Both footwells

- Structural areas (rails) under the car and in the engine bay

- Lower lip of the front end (below the bumper)

- Misc. fabrication to facilitate the bumper change from US to Euro

J