• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help W/ Solex Idle Jet

bcarey
Go to solution Solved by Mark92131,

Hi all,

I need a little help cleaning up my Solex carb. Quick backstory: Rust in the fuel tank gunked it up; I've replaced the tank, but the carb still seems to be clogged with the old rusty sediment. I've blasted it with carb cleaner, which helps it idle for a minute or so, but then it sputters and dies again. From what I've read on here, I'm thinking there's still a little crud in the line, or that the jet is more blocked than some spray can clean out. A lot of posts suggest removing the idle jet and cleaning it -- problem is, I haven't come across a good visual tutorial on how to do that. Could one of you amazing helpers identify the idle jet on this photo? And then what's the best way to clean it? Just run water or carb cleaner thru it? What else do I need to clean out?

Thanks! 

• Solution

The round solenoid with the wire attached to it should be your primary idle cut off, (left side of picture).  If you unscrew it, the idle jet should be in that hole.  The secondary idle jet is on the opposite side under a brass screw.  You need pictures of the sides of the carb for exact placement.

Matk92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)