• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loose Parts Under The Hood...

7sis

There is a new episode in the saga this morning.... Wanted to take the car to drive to work this morning and after I started the car, I noticed some white smoke coming out of the exhaust. The smoke has a burnt smell I would not qualify as sugary.

I know the engine compression numbers are pretty low and uneven so I am suspecting a head gasket leak. What I don't understand is that before I played with the gas lines that smoke wasnt there...

Could the head gasket problem have come out due to the fact the car was parked for 2 weeks?

Edited by 7sis

Could the head gasket problem have come out due to the fact the car was parked for 2 weeks?

Not likely.

The auto-fill feature on your device makes reading your posts a puzzle. I'm out.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

• 1 month later...

Quick update on this issue...

Seems like the last time I started the car, no more smoke was there. However, the idle issue has gotten worst....

The engine won't idle at all now, cold or hot. My plan was to clean the carb, paying a special attention to the idle jet. When trying to disconnect the wire on the electric idle valve, I broke the tab connector from the valve.

I was looking to replace the entire idle valve, but they seem relatively expensive... Can I run the car without it? Seems like Webers don't have it...

Else, if this kind of money needs to be spend, a 32/36 is starting to look rather attractive.

That valve is a bypass valve to reduce fuel pressure when there's high manifold vacuum, and thus

low fuel flow.

If it's made things worse at idle, it may not be working right.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I was looking at the idle cutoff replacement valves for my 2bbl solex and found that part number 13 11 1 260 516 is replaceable by VW 058-129-413 D. I searched on VW bug/bus websites and came accross this one which looks very similar to mine:

http://www.airheadparts.com/vintage-vw-parts/carbureted-fuel-system/idle-cutoff-valve-12v-g55-058129413-d

Have anyone of you tried a VW idle cutoff valve on a Solex? I'm wondering about jetting also...

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

To give an update on this issue, seems like the vw electric idle valve is working out so far. From what I see, the engine is running a bit rich and idle seems a bit low (around 600rpm) but still driveable.

I'll try to play with the mixture and Idle adjustment screws later in the week to see how I can get this setup tuned right.