• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing '02 Windshield

StarboardM

I seem to have met my match on removing the front windshield :blink:

The car in question is a '73 tii that sat in the California sun for 15 years. 

I have removed the hard "rope" as well as the chrome clip at the middle bottom. I have tried pushing on the windshield, but it does not seem to be budging. The gasket is hard as a rock, and flaked off when I removed the retainer rope thing. 

I would like to remove it in one piece, even though its cracked, and will most likely need to be replaced. 

Do I need to push harder? Feet on the inside pushing while spreading the load across as much glass as possible? Did I miss any hidden clips? 

I unfortunately broke the rear window and it came out in shards, but it apears to be the same style of gasket/retention system. 

Help!

+1.

Forget about trying to remove that baked seal in one piece.  You will not be able to reuse that old seal to re-install the windshield in any case.  New OEM seals are available at a relatively reasonable price and make installation much easier and prevent leaks.

Regards, Maurice.

Use a sharp razor knife to cut the outer seal.  I cut both the inside and outside.  Don't try pushing outward until the glass can move from the cut seal.

As you guys mentioned, a knife to the seal, and she poped out. Took about 10 minutes, including putting a new blade in the knife.

Easy as pie! I was worried I might scratch something under the seal, but I took a deep breath and I did it.

Cutting and pulling, combined with cracked gasket

20140303_173233_zps1p4taonp.jpg

Mmmmmm, yummy.

20140303_173217_zpsv9u68sfo.jpg

A slight push, and shes all out! Set aside, this weekends project will be a simple rack to hold all the windows until I figure out what to do with them.

Oh, and here is the back window...

20140303_175121_zpsoi02499p.jpg

don't even try to use that rear window again. I think it's probably too far gone :o)

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT