• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting The Next Generation Fired Up

Kidasters

Late last year, while talking to my 10 year old daughter - the topic of a go-kart came up.  I don't even remember why.  Anyway - a good report card and Christmas promises resulted in a very unique shopping experience.

Once nice day, we took the 911 out sans Targa top, and drove up to a Kart store on the north side of town.  I think we looked at the Ferrari of karts:  electric start, disc brakes, everything.  And it better be for $1800.  Nope.  

Surfed Craigslist.  People that post there are crappy about returning e-mail and phone calls.  The one guy that we were able to talk to led us on a wild goose chase and about an hour of driving before we gave up.  Very disappointing.

Surfing the web more led us to "Go Karts of Texas" - a rather dumpy looking place on the south side of town.  After two trips (and pointless negotiations that went like this; me- "I'll give you $300 for the lot", him - "Nope"), we came home with the Manco Interceptor.  4 hp of fury.  Two flat tires and a questionable engine.  No drive chain.  No seat.  Worn out clutch.  No brakes.

Some tinkering and a friend and I got it running!  Over the last week and a half, the parts have rolled in, and my daughter has been pretty good at helping me work on stuff.  She even has her own set of stubby wrenches!  I think she'll get to drive it this weekend.  We'll see.  

Pics when the event happens.  

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Ha.  Her mother commented that it's probably the only kid in the neighborhood with a go kart, driving it in ballet shoes!

I'm just happy she's having fun with it.  I wanted to get it together so she could enjoy it for a bit before we take it all the way apart.

At the same time, modifications are ongoing.  Performance exhaust is in the mail (yeah - seriously).  The other thing I like about it, besides having a father/daughter project, is that she is listening and being really careful.  We have a rule that, if she sees any cars on the street she's to pull to the curb (we live in a cul de sac, so I don't fret too much).  She was roaring down the street, and out of the blue - she just pulled over.  I yelled "What are you doing?".  

She just pointed.  3 houses down, a car was backing down the driveway.  I didn't even notice it.

I'm hoping this will help her develop good habits for later, when the kart is a car.....

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.