• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

At The Vintage 2014

Cupid

This is embarrassing.  Started the car up and it made an awful sound.  Yeah.  This *just* happened.  Looks like the PO tried to do a patch or something.  Wondering how I missed this.  Regardless, does anybody have a stock header (really just the down pipe) laying around?  I'm going to see if I can do some emergency welding.  Problem is, this metal is so old that I have to try hard to *not* burn through it.  *sigh*  call: 760.470.795 two

20140520_174610.jpg

Edited by Cupid

Tim

Happy to be here folks....

Stable:

2012 Jeep MW3

1970 Ford Mustang

1969 BMW 1600-2

pm williamgruff.  he may have another one.

i would think any muffler shop would be able to do a temp fix on that by cutting off a chunk of that pipe and welding in a new piece with a flange on the end.

2xM3

I got Tim covered. I had two down tubes, a 1600 exhaust manifold, and an exhaust manifold gasket in my basement. Tim also picked up a quickie fix collar from the local auto parts shop. By cutting the end off one of the down tubes, Tim should be able to patch the existing down tube. If that doesn't work, he'll have enough parts to make do. The caravan to the Vintage must go on!

Grice

Edited by williamggruff

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

I've certainly received more than my fair share of assistance from the local 02 community. It's nice to be able to pay it forward on occasion ;-)

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

Okay,

It's not pretty, but she doesn't leak a bit!  Grice, I owe you one.  Or two...or three....

20140520_210906.jpg

When this engine blows up, I'll fix it at that time.  For now, we're headed to The Vintage!

Tim

Stable:

2012 Jeep MW3

1970 Ford Mustang

1969 BMW 1600-2

beware that section is under load...it is after the tranny hanger.  next hanger back is the muffler.  i would be surprised if that repair survived a long drive.  can't you replace the entire downtube with one from grice?

2xM3

Wish I could join you sooner!

My boss sent me to a conference in 29 Palms this week. I'm hopping a red eye out of Palm Springs Thursday night but still can't get in to Jacksonville til noon Friday. Four hour drive to W-S, praying for no complications enroute. Can't wait to meet everyone.

Tim, did you get a down tube from Grice, or are you sticking to your patch?

Craig,

Yes, Grice gave me a second down tube (uncut)....*insert joke here*

All,

I do think it will hold, however the first 45 year old bolt that I tried to remove from the heat shield disintegrated.

I had to have a long conversation with myself at that point.

Me: I could take the manifold off and put the whole down-pipe on and be done

Self: Good luck with that...

Me:  How hard could it be?  What's the worst that could happen?

Self:  You could miss the Vintage.

Me:  How so?

Self:  You could continue to break bolts while you are taking them off.  That was just a heat shield bolt...  What if it had been a manifold stud?

Me:  I hate it when you're right.

Risk Mitigation Plan:

- I have 8 inches *insert another joke* of emergency pipe left to get me back home.

- I cut the pipe in such a way that it can easily be welded by a local muffler shop

- I will pack a down-pipe and small jack stands so if things get really frisky, I can pull a MacGyver

Who's with me? :D

Tim

Stable:

2012 Jeep MW3

1970 Ford Mustang

1969 BMW 1600-2

Tim - if things get desperate and we need to do some road repairs, we could pull your car up on Marshall's trailer ramps.  I packed a roll of Gorilla tape  :P .

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Jim, I like the way you think!

I took it out and beat on it today.  Everything stayed in place!  All I have to do is pack my bags, get all of my camera equipment and I'm ready to roll.  I'll probably be at Marshall's pretty early.

Can't wait to tour with you guys!   B)

Tim

Stable:

2012 Jeep MW3

1970 Ford Mustang

1969 BMW 1600-2

• Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors