• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sourcing Replacement Fender Panels In Australia

Justin99

I am looking for suggestions of where I might source a replacement left hand front fender panel for my 1971 2002  I have found a body shop to do some work on the car to fix up some panel damage that came with the car, but he suggested that I should be able to source a replacement panel - except that I can't find any. I have tried the usual suspects (ASV/Euro Parts with no luck, and google is not turning up anything meaningful).

I am in Sydney, Australia so local would be best unless someone wants to give a panel away for free and I pay the shipping!!!  At this stage I am looking for a 2nd hand or reproduction part.  I have found a few OEM panels on overseas websites, but they are a little too pricey for me!

I'm in the same boat as you. Currently looking at shipping panels from the states since there are no Australian stockists.

http://www.sssauto.com.au is supposedly 'considering' bringing in some panels, so give them a call and tell them you are interested too.

PS. PeninsulaBM (Mornington, Victoria) has a left hand fender. Its up on ebay right now.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330908408419?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Mate good luck, Peninsula BM are expensive and some of the stuff is just way to old to use.

I would recommend Jaymic in the UK or Walloth and Nesch in Germany. Postage is the enemy though, I also get bits from Rogers Tii, Top End and Ireland Engineering.

BMW are disgustingly expensive in Sydney, rude, and very unhelpful..........

or buy a parts car, where abouts are you, im up on the Northern Beaches.

Regards,

Richard

Richard, I am in the Shire (Sutherland) - not many 02s down this way!

I have not even bothered to try BMW.  In a past life I used to have Saab 99s and Saab Australia was the last place you would go to if you wanted parts.

I have come across Jaymic and I gather from your comment they are ok to deal with?

As for the parts car I would contemplate one if I could find one (and had the room!) but at this stage apart from the left front guard I am ok as the car came with a heap of other spare parts including right front guard, boot, pair of doors and several crates of other misc spares.

Do you know if there are any NSW/Aust clubs that cater for 2002s?  While I have not yet spoken to the BMW club, judging from their website they are more performance/new BMW focused??

Of course they are new car focused. Same with all marque car clubs. Mostly because those kinds of "enthusiasts" don't want the 'troubles' of owning an old car or whatever.

There's a heap of Australian 02 owners, we even have a Facebook page if you are that way inclined.

There will be someone in the sydney area who can help you out.

BMW 2002 Owners Club, Australia

Jace is correct in what he says about the BMW club, they are not a bad bunch and their annual show is ok, I had my car there one year and there was about 6 02's but the rest was 6 series, M3's and newer, nice to see the cars but definately leaning towards modern machines. They do plenty of track days but I don't fancy sending my car into a barrier as I am sure I would get carried away :-)

Jaymic is not what it once was as they were a fantastic full resto house, I used to try and get up there once a month many years ago when I was in the UK and you won't find many people more knowledgeable than Mike McCartney, alas he has retired and now Fay and Peter his daughter and son in law run the parts business with the garage run by someone else. They are exceptionally honest and reliable and will find parts others often can't find, I highly recommend them. They also run a nice touring and are active in the UK 02 scene.

BMW do and can get the parts but at a premium and I am a bit tired of the BS I have to go through in their and the one good guy has left, maybe I should tey again.

There is a guy in Brisbane called Dave Bennett he runs a superb yellow touring and has an enthusiasts site called http://www.02motorsport.com nice guy but I haven't been able to get hold of him lately, hopefully all is well.

If you are interested in selling some of your parts, I would be very interested in the 2 doors in particular, if they are in good condition structurally? I am just about to do mine and it would save me a good deal of hassle to be able to get some here in Sydney.

I think I saw your car when it was for sale, does it run 15" Rota's (minilte style) wheels, and I think I have seen Jace's mintgrun with a vinyl roof as well.... I could be wrong.

Regards

Richard.

I think I saw your car when it was for sale, does it run 15" Rota's (minilte style) wheels,

Yeah, that was the car. After looking at the car Imy intial response was to walk away due to the panel damage, but the owner insisted I made an offer, so a day later I made a silly offer and to my surprise he accepted!  Glad he did, I have had a blast tinkering with it and fixing it up, and so far, I have had no nasty surprises - which is lucky as I am new to the 02 scene.

I have tried contacting Dave Bennet, a few times in the last few months, but with no luck.

There's a heap of Australian 02 owners, we even have a Facebook page if you are that way inclined. There will be someone in the sydney area who can help you out. BMW 2002 Owners Club, Australia

Thanks for the link Jace, I did not think to search facebook for 02 groups.