• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Chewed Radiator?

Eamonn Lundy

So I just bought a '76 2002 and today while pulling away from my house I heard some bad clanking noises and pulled over to check and make sure everything was ok... it wasn't. It appears that the fan actually somehow hit the radiator and did some pretty serious damage. In two places on the radiator the fins are ripped apart and coolant is spilling out of them at a pretty high rate. Any ideas on what happened here? Is it going to be just replacing the radiator or is it going to be a bigger deal than that? Thanks for any help. 

Worn out motor mounts and transmission mount bushings are the first places to look.

+1

And before tightening the right hand engine mounting bolt, set stop to provide a gap of 3.0mm

Also check following link;

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/138299-what-is-clearance-between-radiator-and-cooling-fan/?hl=engine+right+hand+mount#entry7904

Credit to c.d. iesel for the illustrations

Edited by Buckeye

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

So I got it into a mechanic and he says it looks like the water pump went and caused the issue. He's gunna look closer but before I brought it to him I snooped around and all the engine and trans mounts look fine. Thanks for all the help but I'm gunna let him do his thing. Where can I get a good manual for this thing?

I snooped around and all the engine and trans mounts look fine. Thanks for all the help but I'm gunna let him do his thing. Where can I get a good manual for this thing?

What was your basis of testing to determine they were "fine".  I highly doubt it was the water pump.

Factory manual in pdf form is in the

"FAQ Articles Construction Zone"

+1

"looks" don't mean much unless they are in extremis. gotta get in there with a pry bar and see if the mounts can be moved.  and which side of the fan hit the radiator? (left or right)

if it was the waterpump or the fan blade not bolted on all the way you could just grab it and move the fan by hand in and out.  did you try that?

and a novel idea....do a search on "fan hit radiator".  many threads on this same question popped up when i just entered that seach.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3