• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blowing Through Voltage Regulators.....

Steven Scott
Go to solution Solved by Steven Scott,

I have a 75 2002.  I am driving it when I can and preparing for some mild restoration work. 

Driving the car at night, pointed out that it wasn't charging, and the voltage regulator was the culprit, as it has new voltage regulator and a new alternator.  The car is somehow breaking the regulator within a small window after installing it.  Has anyone run across this and had a fix?

Thanks for the advice on this forum guys!

Steven

• 1 month later...

I am doing grounds today!  It can't hurt. I suspect the braided cable from the battery to engine and chassis has corrosion and causing some resistance trouble.  New battery cable and cleaning all contact points for ground wires... Next inspect harness wires that go to charging system. 

Any suggestions otherwise>>??

Edited by porsche189

Ensure the grounds are "goodncleanntight".

If not, the circuit "could" be finding its way threw the VR. The VR grounds with the mounting screw.

Is the new alternator internally regulated by chance?

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

When I first got my car, I was having all kinds of alternator problems. I blew a VR, and then replaced the alternator. Actually, the brand new alternator had a bad diode and had to be replaced. I've already determined my next alternator will be internally regulated, not needing the external VR at all, seems like a simpler solution.

FAQ Member #126

As already said, check your grounds carefully (be sure it isn't grounding through your reg->alt ground wire and melting the other associated wiring). 

Also, when picking up a new regulator spring for the original Bosch replacement.  I've had several of the cheaper replacements fail very very quickly, I can't pinpoint why at the moment, but something doesn't add up.

• Solution

Thanks for the advice,  I picked up the new VR.... its under warranty , but is not a bosch, I will have to track one of those down (AceAndrew).  The grounds and the new VR are working great so far! I hadn't made it past a day with the others... pre ground replacement. 

Thank you all!

Good advice! Good clean tight grounds. Check.