• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas Cap Key

mavhh

Hi, it's not lost yet... But i'm nervous my only key will eventually get lost. I have had no problem getting hold of the HUF blanks for the door/ign and trunk. But there is no manufacturer written on the gas cap key... Any ideas?

It's a 73 car, gas cap has an oval/lozenge shape key hole cover.

Thanks,

Dave

Why not just 1) make sure it's unlocked and then 2) put the key up in some super safe location that you CAN find again?  The locking gas caps were a product of the early 70's gas crisis.  The BMW's never came with one that I am aware of.  My bet is that less than 1% of us today even feel the need for one.

BMWCCA #545

1972 BMW 2002 Colorado "Traumcycle"

2000 BMW 323Ci

My solution: I have the key securely tied with 2 ft of "parachute cord" to the rubber filler neck inside the trunk.  Yes I have to open the trunk to get the key but neither it (nor the gas cap) will get lost this way.

'71 MGB - sold   '74 2002 - sold

'89 XR4Ti - sold  '94 Miata R Package - sold

'73 tii - restoration project - sold

Hi, it's not lost yet... But i'm nervous my only key will eventually get lost. I have had no problem getting hold of the HUF blanks for the door/ign and trunk. But there is no manufacturer written on the gas cap key... Any ideas?

It's a 73 car, gas cap has an oval/lozenge shape key hole cover.

Thanks,

Dave

Page Mike on here, he knows about gas cap blanks.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Thanks for the tips - I particularly like the parachute cord in the trunk idea...

I'm in the UK... and gas is quite expensive here (like $8.55/gallon) so a locking gas cap is something I prefer to keep!

Thanks,

Dave

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif