• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electrical Problem

willie002

My daughter just had a new stereo installed in her 1976, 2002 and a problem has shown up. At times when she uses her turn signal the stereo and dash lights go off but come back on when the turn signal is turned back off. This car has been in the family for over 30 years and it's never done this until the new stereo was installed. Is it just a coincident with the stereo instillation? An idea as to where to start looking would be appreciated.

I've survived damn near everything.

1974 - 2002, Mild - sold to son
1976 - 2002, lil' Wild

They hooked up the red or yellow power wire from your stereo to under the fuse box at your turn signal fuse for power. You have to move the clip to a better post.

hth

71 BMW 2002 "Von Eiff" gone baby gone

73 BMW 2002 " Mingus "

04 BMW X5

75 Triumph Tr6

00 CLK 430 Conv

Honda Elite Scooter

Vespa Ciao

Thanks for the answers. I'll start with the checking the fuse box and where they obtained their power. If that doesn't fix it then I'll start checking grounds.

I was actually wondering if it wasn't the power source they tapped into.

Thanks again...........

I've survived damn near everything.

1974 - 2002, Mild - sold to son
1976 - 2002, lil' Wild

whomever installed the stereo wired it incorrectly.....

should be two power wires.  one goes direct to battery (memory power). the other should go to an ignition switched source.  there is a fuse for this in the fuse box. all to frequently cheesy installers try to save install time by grabbing power from whatever wire they find near the center console that shows up as switched power...without checking to see what fuse the power is on and what else is on that circuit.

2xM3

Easiest way to troubleshoot, unplug the plug in the back of the stereo and see if it still does it, if it does then make sure they got the ground from a good source and see where they stole the power from, like Mlytle said, most stereo installers will grab power from wherever they find it, I would seriously doubt they ran a separate circuit for it as they should have.

74 Golf

just installed a stereo in my 02. don't know if you know but there are two wires serving the cigar lighter both hot all the time. I used the smaller of the two to connect the yellow (memory power wire) and used a switched power wire from the ign switch for the red wire Can't remember which but it serves as power during running and an acc source when wanting to listen without powering up the entire car. a good ground is essential so while you're behind the instrument panel, use the common ground point for the ground. use inline fuses for both the yellow and red wires, this avoids running wires through the firewall and back yard engineering a connection to the fuse box.

Gale

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)