• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting A Valve Job Today

hayleysPop

Fellas,

Quick question for you if I may.

I'm gonna' be starting a Valve Job today and wanted to know if I can leave the Distributor Housing / Distributor on the Head.. OR.. "Do I have to remove the Distributor all-together before removing the Head?"

Thanks Fellas. I appreciate your help with this.

- Ken

Also when you do remove the distributor housing, remember which bolt has the special sealing washer and make sure you put one on there when you reinstall it, otherwise it will drip oil back there. If you are sending the head out for the valve job make sure you send the top timing cover with it in case they shave the head, they need to be done together.

74 Golf

FL,

Thanks so much for the heads-up.

There's already a slow drip back there and I'm wondering if the PO didn't put the washer back on. I'll be sure too look out for this when I remove the head.

Would you happen to know which bolt right off hand, has that washer, just in case it's not on there?

Thanks Again, Pal.

- Ken

NO. The distributor is located on the passenger side of the engine bay. The bolt most to the drivers side needs the special washer (the bolt closest to the center of the engine bay).

The bolt that is closest to the passenger fender is a extra large bolt, different from the other 3 bolts but does not require a special washer.

post-42434-0-13288500-1376505736_thumb.j

Edited by Stevenc22

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

If it is leaking back there also check the oil pressure sender, those can start to leak and are cheap to replace and check the valve cover gasket, make sure the surface of the head where the gasket mates is free of nicks, sometimes they get whacked when PO's that don't know how to use a valve spring compressor try to remove or replace the valves.  If there are nicks they can be gently filed flat and a dab of rtv will seal them up (file away from the engine so that the filings don't fall into the engine).  Also check the o-ring on the distributor.

Edited by FunkyLaneO

74 Golf