• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centerlock Wheels/hub

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and am still learning a lot about '02s, so I guess this can be a slight introduction as well as a question thread. I bought a 1975 BMW 2002 back in March and am finally getting around to working on it several months later. Here she is! I drove it today for the first time since I bought it, and it will be getting it registered tomorrow morning. alright.gif

8709210930_c1c8b02085_c.jpg

I'm in the process of taking notes and marking down what I need to get in order to put the car where my ideas want it to be. One of those ideas that came up was between my dad and I; he has a set of centerlock 16" BBS Mahles that are on his truck right now and may let me use them on my '02. So...

I have already found this thread for "Centerlock wheels on O2": http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/106612-centerlock-wheels-on-o2/ but didn't really find much of what I needed, so maybe someone has found something since then or someone has done it already, but is it possible to have a center-lock hub and wheel on the BMW 2002, and has it been done yet?

Thanks ahead of time for any help and/or links etc. I appreciate it. Also awesome forum, a lot of information here!

1975 BMW 2002 : : 1977 BMW 320i

First check if the size and offset of those BBS center locks will work with your fenders and suspension.  Probably the only way to know for sure is to mount some 4x100 wheels of the same dimensions with the intended tires and find out if it works and how much you like it.  Very few people run 16" wheels on 02s period, and I'm thinking 16" BBS wheels may be a bit wider than the 7" considered the maximum width for a car without flared fenders. 

Me? I'd consider trading those center locks to someone who needs them and getting a regular 4x100 wheel I really want. 

Then again, one lobe of my brain is trying to visualize your dad's truck running center lock BBS Mahles.  Pics or it never happened. 

First check if the size and offset of those BBS center locks will work with your fenders and suspension.  Probably the only way to know for sure is to mount some 4x100 wheels of the same dimensions with the intended tires and find out if it works and how much you like it.  Very few people run 16" wheels on 02s period, and I'm thinking 16" BBS wheels may be a bit wider than the 7" considered the maximum width for a car without flared fenders. 

Me? I'd consider trading those center locks to someone who needs them and getting a regular 4x100 wheel I really want. 

Then again, one lobe of my brain is trying to visualize your dad's truck running center lock BBS Mahles.  Pics or it never happened. 

Those wheels will be completely custom for the BMW if it ends up happening. I still have to do a lot of measuing and overall learning on this car, but that's what I'm thinking. I'm debating putting flares on the car, haven't decided quite yet. Otherwise the wheels will not stay like that, way way to wide, they will have to be rebuilt.

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gi

Hahaha the wheels are actually mounted on the truck now; it's still in the process of being built and it'll be used mainly for autocross when done. Yes I know, pictures of pictures my bad...

6744116627_f918d6565d_z.jpg

Sorry about the inverted photo, but here are the rear wheels when they were gold (early steps I'm guessing)

6744152097_797a6c49aa.jpg

Welcome to 02- World. (In Orlando everything is "world") Keep us updated on progress and more pics.

Thank you! I'll definitely keep this updated if something gets figured out.

1975 BMW 2002 : : 1977 BMW 320i