• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stalling When Stopping

Hey guys,

I am new to join but have been on the website tonnes over the years. This is my second 2002. Well it started as mine but ended up being my wife's daily driver now, she absolutely loves it. But its having a problem, I cant really figure out. it idles totally fine, but as soon as it is driven, every time you go to shift geas the idle drops off and wants to die and does die when you have to stop. starts right back up again. but does it all over again once driven. Actually it does not happen all the time. just sometimes but is starting to happen more and more..  it now has a webber carb. it did when I had it too so it is not something new only the issue is new. i took a look at it and the choke was not working properly but it seems to be now after i adjusted it. cleaned idle jets out. and it actually idled a whole lot better, but the problem still reamains?? yes i searched and a problem similar but not the same. and one that was the same i think but was never posted as solved just left hanging... so.. Any suggestions?

I had exactly the same problem. Spent ages trying to work it out and in the end found that one of the black wires to the distributor was broken. Any loose wire on the low tension circuit would have the same effect.

bad vacuum brake booster ?

is the brake pedal REALLY HARD?

bad idle fuel shut off solenoid at bottom of carb ?

adjust the valves lately ?

revist your idle speed and idle mixture adjustment.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

in the end found that one of the black wires to the distributor was broken. Any loose wire on the low tension circuit would have the same effect.

I'd check this 'kuz it was the root of my similar problem too.

ok great that is some really good stuff to look at.. the brakes are not hard they are just right, I thought it might be that because I had that problem once but it as only when I applies the brakes that it caused a vacuum leak and stalled it out. I will check out those wires for sure because two people with the same car, same problem and the same cause, sounds pretty likely to me. Thanks so much guys! I have been riding my motorcycle so much I kinda forgot how flippen awesome these machines really are, I love em! will let you guys know what I find out!

If you have a Weber 32/36, check that the throttle plate shaft has not worn the carb casting, I had one of these and each time I'd set the idle nice and smooth, one romp later it was too high or too low, or some wretched thing.  Finally I noticed a macking air leak at the throttle shaft.  As it happened, this was not my car, only in my car for some months.  The irresponsible idiot owner later took it through an intersection and got massively T-boned by a big Benz, so the carb was never fixed.  I never heard what happened to his young lady passenger, the hit was on her side of the car....

I had something simmilar and it turned out to be a hairline crack in the plate between the carb (32/36) and the manifold. I fixed it, then it started again and this time it was the same area only no crack. I had not tightened the carb down enough, not wanting to crack the new spacer plate, and gas had soaked the gasket, creating a small vacuum leak.

Yes, there WAS skin on my knuckles before I started the repair...