• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Source For '02 Sheetmetal

Napes

The only surface rust showing on  my car is on the rockers.  Not sure what I'd find once they're off.

I'm now encouraged to replace them next winter.  Nice to have a supplier in Canada.

Cheers!

Well we sell the whole rocker area, Paul. So let us know and we can definitely help you out with that. (And yes, hurray for Canada!!)

9615097809_28bd2143e7_o.jpg

If I had to guess, their pricing model is cost-driven rather than retail perception driven, so rather than being a number designed to make you buy it, their prices reflect the cost of materials, as well as amortized equipment, r&d, etc.

Working on that assumption, it's possible the rail in question requires more raw material, more setup time on the press, or it took longer to develop, required a more expensive set of tooling, or they just expect to sell fewer of them (so the per-unit amortization is higher).

... Does that help?

@ Mike...

Well, no. 

That doesn't realy explain why two mirror image parts are different prices.

I actually have two frame rails sitting on my basement floor right now and I don't see the difference.

Not a big deal really...I was just curious...but seeing how you decided to be patronizing...

'72 tii sunroof 
'05 BMW R1100S Boxer Cup Replica
'96 BMW K1100RS/SE
'01 Dodge Ram 4x4, 360ci, 4.10LSD's

I'm not being patronizing; this is just one of those situations where the simplest answer is "if you have to ask...".

There are countless different possible reasons (right down to a data-entry error) why the two pieces might be priced differently. You're looking at the parts as two mirror-image pieces of metal, rather than as the results of two long processes with lots of variables. If, for example, they're strictly mirrors of each other, then one of them may be amortizing the full capture process, while the other was simply a flip of the first in SolidWorks.

If their cost model treats the two as separate items rather than sharing the r&d cost evenly between the two, then you have a different NRE basis for each amortization calculation, and voila, a different per-unit price.

Which is why I asked the question when a representative of the company had been involved in the conversation.

I was looking for an answer...not a condescending and aggrandizing diatribe on CAD processes and product delivery.

By-the-way...if you had looked at the website you would see many mirror image products with mirrored costs.  The frame rails stood out...which piqued my curiosity.

But thanks.

'72 tii sunroof 
'05 BMW R1100S Boxer Cup Replica
'96 BMW K1100RS/SE
'01 Dodge Ram 4x4, 360ci, 4.10LSD's

... then you could have helped me not waste your time by telling me you understood this. 8)

I'm still not getting your "condescending and aggrandizing" though. If you want condescending, I can turn it on, but I was really just trying to sketch out in the roughest keyword-friendly terms, for someone that had just said "I don't understand", why two seemingly similar things could come to have a sales price difference at the end of the day.

If your real question was "why are these two mirrored parts priced differently when other mirrored pairs aren't", then that's a different question. 8)

Hey guys!

Those frame rails are OEM BMW parts, and they came to me at different prices, so I am selling them similarly. I'm trying to get a feel for the demand before I spend 1000 labour hours building a die for a part that doesn't sell.

I think once I start making those, if they are a popular item, I'll probably price them the same to avoid confusion.

(I actually don't know why BMW has them for different prices.)

I am a huge fan of anybody who gets into the business of helping to keep our cars on the road.... thank you!!

Andy74tii

My thoughts exactly!  Instead of complaining about higher prices, we should be willing to pay those prices so that

a new vendor can stay in business and expand their offerings. In the long run, it will benefit all owners.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all!

Got the website all up and running, with a wire frame diagram at the top to ease product selection. 

Check it out!!

WOW MALCOLM THAT'S SO AWESOME

I've also starting having some orders come through, so if anyone who bought from us is on here and wants to give some feedback I'd REALLy appreciate it.

Edited by malcolm@restoration-design