• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schnitzer 20-4 Reproduction

mattij

• 2 weeks later...

Things starting to fall in place,

post-33891-0-50049700-1450803361_thumb.j

post-33891-0-34335500-1450803344_thumb.j

post-33891-0-51862100-1450803478_thumb.j

Next - fitting valves, springs etc.components, then porting.

Flow performance for the original head is ~281hp, my engineer claims he can do better.

For a 2,5 S14 he did 343hp, so lets see...

I'll say it again.  So impressive.  That is  some really beautiful gear.  My head was flow tested a long (long) time ago when I first took it in to start the rebuild process.  My engine builder was not familiar with the Schnitzer engine/cylinder head, but had built a number of HART 420R's, Cosworth BDG's and Dyno'd several BMW M12/7's.  All of those make serious horsepower (as far as "vintage" racing 4 cylinder engines go) - the Schnitzer flowed more air than any of them.  He was blown away.  Top image is a genuine NOS Schnitzer head (intake port).  The ' penned ' outline is from one of the intake gaskets from my cylinder head.  Quite a bit of material is removed from stock to race prepped.  Also quite a bit of other work inside the port which is pretty apparent.  I would be happy to share whatever data I get regarding valve springs etc., in another month or so when were all done (if interested).  Valve springs were way too soft and really hammered the valves and seats.  Sh*t happens at 9000 rpm.

post-38814-0-60079800-1450835214_thumb.j

post-38814-0-40050600-1450835237_thumb.j

Bottom end of my injected motor taken today.....

post-38814-0-79119100-1450835296_thumb.j

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com

I'll say it again.  So impressive.  That is  some really beautiful gear.  My head was flow tested a long (long) time ago when I first took it in to start the rebuild process.  My engine builder was not familiar with the Schnitzer engine/cylinder head, but had built a number of HART 420R's, Cosworth BDG's and Dyno'd several BMW M12/7's.  All of those make serious horsepower (as far as "vintage" racing 4 cylinder engines go) - the Schnitzer flowed more air than any of them.  He was blown away.  Top image is a genuine NOS Schnitzer head (intake port).  The ' penned ' outline is from one of the intake gaskets from my cylinder head.  Quite a bit of material is removed from stock to race prepped.  Also quite a bit of other work inside the port which is pretty apparent.  I would be happy to share whatever data I get regarding valve springs etc., in another month or so when were all done (if interested).  Valve springs were way too soft and really hammered the valves and seats.  Sh*t happens at 9000 rpm.

Springs and seat pressures are planned for 9000rpm. Will check the exact figures we came up for double springs.

• 5 months later...

Ok (or actually not ok), 

several moths with not much of a progress but with a lot of frustration.

#01 proto cad model was not 100% right and we need to redo valve guides. I just ignored one 'little' thing.

The machine shop also had issues with their brand new 5-axis mill and they faced unbelievable challenges in fixing it.

So the rough machining of heads #2 and #3 were on hold for several monhts.

Now things are moving again, got heads #2 and #3 for inspection before final machining. So a pic of #1 and the other two that should eventually run.

Head #1 will not be finalized now. I will probably use it for creating an upright version of head i.e. welding a different back end with oil return.

Not expecting much to happen during June/July, most Finns are just now starting to celebrate Midsummer, and that means that the whole country is more or less closed until August.

br, m

web_IMG_2681.JPG

Edited by mattij

Great to see, I had been meaning to contact you to see what was going on with the project, but have been a little "busy" lately.  It is really incredible that you have been able to accomplish this.  Very cool.  My motor should be going on the dyno any day (but then I have been saying that for like 3 months now at least), should have some good video to post when that happens.  Nice work.

• 1 month later...

Still on vacation, hoping to get castings ready for final machining in few weeks time depending on shop's schedules.

What happened during vacation is not encouraging though, things I touch seem to have a habit of breaking!:mellow:

One prop-shaft & gearbox, one X5 transfer case,...and I just got  my F80!

Edited by mattij

Looking forward to seeing this project move forward (and I sure would like one of those heads as a spare for myself).  My motor is still up on the dyno sorting the last few things out.  It had been so long since I had looked at it in any detail, I noticed this number stamped into it " 3025 " which I am almost certain is AlpinA's ID number - it also has a " 71" stamped, that was Schnitzer's number, would have been 71st produced (duh), the other I sold was #117 and just about  the last as far as I know.

Engine Number 3025.JPG

• 2 months later...