• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recaro Question

max210

So I'm a bit confused about mounting E21 recaros in the 02. I've found a few seats for sale but a majority of them say they don't have the brackets/rails/sliders. Brackets, rails and sliders meaning the same thing? For those seats that lack the brackets/rails/sliders, can I just reuse the ones from my 02 without modifying anything or buying anything else?

- Max

'72 2002

IE SS braided hoses

320i drum brakes

Most folks use the E21 brackets for installation into the 2002.  Lots of posts on this.  If the seats don't come with them, you can find them used.  You can put in a parts wanted ad or buy them from Aardvark.

Most folks use the E21 brackets for installation into the 2002.  Lots of posts on this.  If the seats don't come with them, you can find them used.  You can put in a parts wanted ad or buy them from Aardvark.

So there is no way to mount the seats without the E21 brackets? What do the rest of the folks do?

Edited by max210

- Max

'72 2002

IE SS braided hoses

320i drum brakes

To be clear about this, every Recaro seat (at least every one I've ever seen) has the mounting holes 16" apart side-to-side. To mount them into a specific car, you then need to buy or make the specific brackets that adapt it to the bolt pattern on the floor of that car. There's nothing unique about the bolt pattern of E21 Recaros -- they're just Recaros with 16"-spaced mounting holes. I've bought Recaro Trophy seats from VWs that have power bases, and when you unbolt the power bases, those holes are still 16" apart.

It just happens that, since E21s had Recaros and since the bolt pattern of an E21 seat is is the same as a 2002 seat, that there was a BMW adapter bracket for the E21 that also works on the 2002. As the previous poster referred to, if you look on http://www.2002parts.com/bmw/recaro-seat-parts/rec-bracket-02.html, you'll see that Dave Varco at Aardvarc is currently selling his own adapters.

When I wanted to put Recaros in my 3.0CSi (E9), there was no commercially available adapter, so I made my own out of plate aluminum. It's pretty easy; you just need to carefully measure the bolt pattern on the Recaros, the bolt pattern on your seats, and split the difference. Dave now sells home-rolled E9 brackets as well.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

I took my stock seat rails and bolted them to the E21 seats. From there, right to the stock brackets. You're a tad off-center, but not too bad.

+1, I did this as well, why spend unnecessary $$$?

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit * 06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd * 73 Mustang Convertible 351C * 11 Aston Martin Rapide V12 * 15 VW Touareg * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg