• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manny's 02 Restoration Project

manny02

Hi everyone, my name's Manny and I just bought a 75 02. This is my first restoration project.

I've been looking for one for a while and came across this one that was garaged its whole life. The car wasn't started for 20 years, so the PO brought it to his mechanic and had all the fluids flushed and hoses changed.

I'm looking to restore this car to its original look while adding a few personal touches  ;)

Since I'm a newbie with these cars, I just had a few questions:

1) I want to have the car repainted in the original Inka color because there are a few blemishes in the paint and I was wondering how much, roughly, would I be looking at spending based on how much other members have spent?

2) What's the best/most cost-efficient way to restore the interior? PO had rear seats changed with E21 seats, and the fronts I believe are still original. Would it be better to buy a kit and new padding or bring it to an upholstery shop that quoted me $1500?

All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Here are a few pictures, btw:

8953496221_41521a3558_c.jpg
DSC_0255 by fbaladad, on Flickr
8953485245_96547d3ca7_c.jpg
DSC_0332 by fbaladad, on Flickr

8953472687_d8c8626f8e_c.jpg

DSC_0394 by fbaladad, on Flickr

Is that original paint?  If so, I sure wouldn't repaint it--at least in the pictures it looks pristine.  Those little blemishes add patina--and after all, it's survived 38 years and still looks very nice.  You'll spend many $$$ for a truly proper repaint, and it won't look that much better than what you have--and you can't ever replace "original."

BTW, welcome to the fraternity/sorority...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I'm going to agree with Mike on the paint, it looks damn good from here. I wish my paint was that good! 

Re: the interior, one options is to check out Aardvarc (google them plus 'bmw')... they sell door panels, seats, and kits to do both. 

'68 Granada Red 02

Is that original paint?  If so, I sure wouldn't repaint it--at least in the pictures it looks pristine.  Those little blemishes add patina--and after all, it's survived 38 years and still looks very nice.  You'll spend many $$$ for a truly proper repaint, and it won't look that much better than what you have--and you can't ever replace "original."

BTW, welcome to the fraternity/sorority...

mike

Thanks Mike for the response. I think the front of the car got repainted by the previous owner due to a minor accident. Otherwise, still original paint, not bad for a 38 year old car. I think you are right, original still better, I might just have someone fix the blemishes.

BTW thanks for the welcome.

Manny

I'm going to agree with Mike on the paint, it looks damn good from here. I wish my paint was that good! 

Re: the interior, one options is to check out Aardvarc (google them plus 'bmw')... they sell door panels, seats, and kits to do both. 

Thanks for the info. Aardvarc seems to be a good resource. 

Welcome Manny. That Inka looks great! I agree with the others that a complete respray may not be necessary. I would see what a good detailer could to to possibly polish or touch up the blemishes.

I would tackle the seats yourself to save money and gain some restoration experience. There is a great write up on how to redo your seats here: FAQ article and here: Finkbuilt It is not that difficult and actually pretty rewarding to save the old seats.

It also looks like the P/O has the early short bumpers in the rear. I would contact bluebeem here on the FAQ for the bumper bracket kits he sells to do the fronts (that is if you want to run a front bumper)

Looks great and good luck!

Edited by ibjettin

Welcome Manny. That Inka looks great! I agree with the others that a complete respray may not be necessary. I would see what a good detailer could to to possibly polish or touch up the blemishes.

I would tackle the seats yourself to save money and gain some restoration experience. There is a great write up on how to redo your seats here: FAQ article and here: Finkbuilt It is not that difficult and actually pretty rewarding to save the old seats.

It also looks like the P/O has the early short bumpers in the rear. I would contact bluebeem here on the FAQ for the bumper bracket kits he sells to do the fronts (that is if you want to run a front bumper)

Looks great and good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I'm now reconsidering my original idea of having the entire car repainted, since it really does look nice with the original.

And that's a great write up for the seats, but I'd actually be saving money by having the shop do it for me, now that he quoted me $1000 for all the seats and carpet. And he's using leather  :)

I was actually about to ask about mounting the front bumper, because the PO included the short bumper for the front. The only problem is that it doesn't exactly line up correctly. I'll be sure to get in contact with bluebeem on here