• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater Valve Support Bracket

Hi forum,

Refurbishing my heater box and as usual valve bracket is broken and i've also got a broken cable support where they enter the box (not sure how to fix that).

Seen various threads that mention a support bracket is available but the website mentioned doesnt seem to be active anymore, so i'm hoping that someone here may have another option? It has been suggested that the support isnt actually needed for the valve but i'd like to replace if possible. I could also fabricate a bracket if someone has any dimensioned drawings or a photo of one?

And a long shot, but if anyone has a view of the bracket that supports the cables coming into the box that control the internal flaps. I'm hoping to repair that as well but i'm not sure how that should look?

Any help as always appreciated

Edited by erasmo

I just made one on the fly. I will see if I can find a photo.

here you go, just light guage sheet metal and some sipherin'

Heatervalvesupport2.jpg

Edited by BillWilliams

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

My car is a RHD 73 cabriolet/ targa.

Yep, agree i may end up not repairing the bracket (would be nice though) and the Bowden cable (didnt know it was call that!) bracket does look a bit tricky to repair, but again would be nice to fabricate something to support that bracket. In an ideal world i would source a better box outer, but that may be difficult in the UK.

And to be honest, i've just discovered the joys and potential of 3D printing, so i'm looking around the car to see what i can 3D print to help the restoration along. Even started to design a new 2002 rear badge with the added suffix of 'Cabriolet'. I always thought it a shame that the cabriolets models never had their specific badging as the other variants did.

But the heater box has cleaned up nicely and all seems to be working so if neither bracket is fixed it wont be a deal breaker, just on my wish list.

I just used the heater valve to get the hole spacing and size of the holes then made the bent far enough down to let the heater valve clear the box. If you can do that other stuff, you can figure this out in your sleep.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Are you talking about the (2) cables that enter the bottom of the heater box? There should be a clamp and bolt that secure the (2) cables for the footwell flaps and defroster tubes.

IMG_8828_zps81d1942a.jpg

IMG_8826_zpsb7dfd179.jpg

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"