• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wing Window Woes

The wing window on the passenger door of my '76 seems ot be out of alignment.  It binds on the rubber seal in the upper corner as if it is tipped too bar back in its frame.  I noticed that the label etched on the glass is different than the rest of the windows, so I assume it has been replaced.  There is considerable play in that window as well, as in it wiggles back and forth an inch or more once open, where as the driver's side is nice and tight.  I am wondering whether the replaced window could be slightly different than the original....  Did they vary over the years?  Is sourcing a new (used) wing window and frame assembly my best bet?  I could try and purchase new gears, but that does not solve the alignment issue.

The large window in that door does not roll up all the way, but stops a quarter of an inch short.  I followed the adjustment instructions I found on the FAQ and even enlarged the holes for the regulator screws and rotated the assembly.  This helped a little, but did not solve the problem.  I have not moved the position of the bottom of the wing window post yet, but its alignment with the rain gutter seems about right.  The door itself appears to be properly aligned as well. 

It seems a little silly to spend much time dialing in the roll up window, if I really need to purchase another wing window assembly and then start over.  Any input will be appreciated.  Thank you, Tom

Make sure the gasket is put in the window properly, its either in the track nicely  or it's not. You can get another wing window frame pretty easily. I have a crap ton since I've had to swap BOTH wing windows on my car at one point or another and actually need to do it again this summer on the driver side >.< So basically the parts are out there to swap em out. The wiggly could be someone didnt bolt the window to the gear like it's suppose to, but you may have to just replace the gear too. It's another part most of us have laying around so they are readily available, I can even send you one for cheap if you can wait 3 weeks for me to get home  :rolleyes:

As far as adjusting the window, there IS a stopper at the top and if that's not adjusted right it will not roll up all the way. I spent an hour adjusting my driver side window one day, so lots of playing with it is required. You may also need a new regulator, I had a bad regulator that wouldn't roll up all the way, it would get to about 1/4 from the top and stop. So it's not unheard of. Again, the parts are out there used. Best of luck to ya!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2