• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacements For Roteed Out Supports/fenders?

Hey there. I got myself a 69 2002 a while back and finally am ready to start the project.  I got under the car last night and found a few things.  First was a support that runs from the front of the car to under drivers side floor board.  Rotted out on the bottom rail from the firewall back. Are there replacements available for this piece. I will try to attach a picture (not of my car) to explaine better what I am talking about. It is the piece I have highlited in red.   Second, I have found patch panels made for support areas in the trunk (where I DONT need any) but not for the rear quarter behind the wheel. Any place make these?

post-38883-0-15951600-1367989961_thumb.j

The rotted piece you describe under the driver's floor is the left side frame rail.  Probably rusted out due to a leaky master cylinder, especially if the other side isn't rusted away.  I don't think there's a patch panel available for it, but someone on the board parting out a car from a dry state should be able to cut the part out for you.  It's important to replace, as it's structural.

I think patch panels for the trailing edge of the rear quarter panels (from wheel arch to rear panel) are still available, but it's usually the lip around the rear wheel opening that rusts first.  That lip is available.

Have fun--I spent nearly 6 years off and on repairing rust damage from 30 Ohio winters on my '69...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

At the top of the page next to the "forums" button it says Tech, there are quite a few helpful articles to read there, this one is called Frame Rail Repair. Read it.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/_/technical-articles/body-and-interior/frame-rail-repair-r43

There are no replacement parts for the frame rail, but it is not that intricate to make. 

Look at this site for an idea what parts are available:http://www.jaymic.com/shop/parts_02_products.asp?grp=02BDR

This site has everything you can possibly need and good prices:http://www.wallothnesch.com/karosserie-blechteile/bmw-1502-2002-turbo.html

And for the best customer services we have our resident parts man BLUNT: http://bmw.blunttech.com/

Regards

Jacques

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

Thanks for all the helpful links.  I read the how to article on frame rail repair, makes sense and looks like a job I feel comfortable doing. My frame rail though is a bit more...gone, than the one pictured in the article. If I make a new  rail from the firewall back, and weld it to the front half of the original (that is still in good shape), secure it where the old one is secured, I should be good to go, right?

Thanks for all the helpful links.  I read the how to article on frame rail repair, makes sense and looks like a job I feel comfortable doing. My frame rail though is a bit more...gone, than the one pictured in the article. If I make a new  rail from the firewall back, and weld it to the front half of the original (that is still in good shape), secure it where the old one is secured, I should be good to go, right?

Yes that should be fine.

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...