• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Square tail light upgrades- bigger, brighter, more reliable

MoBrighta

I took pics of some 2002 lights I have been toying with. I was tired of getting tagged in the back end, so I decided to improve the chances of getting through the day without making new friends as we exchanged insurance information; pics below.

I decided to tackle round lights as well, see here:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,382132

Some other work I have done on E21 lights, see here: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,378118

Now this set of pics is a right side light, minus the lens, you see only the light produced, no colors. As built, the lights are (top to bottom) tail, reverse, brake, and turn is at the right.

Basically this is a junkyard light, most of the silvering is gone from the brake and reverse lights, fair in the tail, and very nice in the turn section.

First pic is tail only, second is two tails (second tail in the brake light section), third is brake only with a high output bulb, and finally the reverse light and turn signals, for an example of how fair and good reflectors perform.

Next step is to resilver the reflectors, and get all the light produced to to shine out through the lens and into the eyes of following drivers.

I am also doing similar upgrades and restoration for round tails, and other BMWs, see the links above.

post-20109-13667669796469_thumb.jpg

post-20109-13667669797332_thumb.jpg

post-20109-13667669798082_thumb.jpg

post-20109-13667669798833_thumb.jpg

post-20109-13667669799624_thumb.jpg

Andy the tail light guy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"  [mailto:mobrighta@comcast.net]

Lighting Upgrades for E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Tail Light upgrades keep them off your tail, out of your trunk;
Headlight film keeps your 'eyes' from being scratched out or broken.

what are you selling & how much are you asking...does the price include shipping

I am selling safety through better visibility, which includes the services of restoration, custom upgrades, and high output (HO) bulbs in critical lighting functions. My 2002 was rear ended and totalled five times due (I believe) to dim rear lights, so my motivations are very personal; I want to keep this from happening to anyone else.

OK, in English- I make your rear lights brighter, bigger in appearance, and more reliable using a three step process I have developed:

1) Adding more "shiny" to the reflectors to send more light out the lens where it will do some good;

2) Installing a two filament bulb where a one filament was designed, which adds a second tail light area to boost output, provide a backup for when one fails, and make the car look bigger and closer to encourage (trick) the driver behind you into staying a bit further away from your back bumper;

3) Installing High output nickel base bulbs in all the areas to make more light and to make it LESS LIKELY that you will be bumped in the backside of your 37 - 45 year old beloved Bavarian baby.

If you like, I will include shipping in your cost, no problem.

Cost for the conversion posted above, cost will be $40 a pair for the first three customers, and $60 a pair for later customers, which will include restoration, conversion to dual tail lights, and HO bulbs in two locations, tail and brake lights. Additional HO bulbs for reverse lights and turn signals, $5 a pair for the first three customers, $10 a pair for later. Plus shipping for everyone except esty. ;) Esty - your prices are $5 higher, shipping included.

See, I am trying to encourage you to install this upgrade, and give your honest feedback and opinions to the rest of the forum. This should help you be safer on the road, and helps you by helping the driver behind you see you and understand your intentions. If they know you are there, there's a chance they will avoid crashing into you.

Andy the tail light guy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"  [mailto:mobrighta@comcast.net]

Lighting Upgrades for E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back

What HO bulbs are you using? Many folks have had the misfortune of finding that sometime during previous ownership someone sticks the wrong bulb in and over time melts the housing. Just don't want that cycle to start over......know what I mean. I have been thinking of LEDs

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1974 Toyota Landcruiser (very sadly sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

1970 2002 auto sunroof (sold)

What HO bulbs are you using? Many folks have had the misfortune of finding that sometime during previous ownership someone sticks the wrong bulb in and over time melts the housing. Just don't want that cycle to start over......know what I mean. I have been thinking of LEDs

HO bulbs are the same part I bought from Daniel Stern Lighting some 8 years ago, and liked so much I started buying directly as a 'dealer'. The single filament brake bulb is P3497, 12V 27W 45 cp. The double filament is P3496, 12V 27/8W 43/3 cp. Stock bulbs are I believe 12V 25W 32 cp.

For the tail light, I use 12V 10W 10cp; the stock bulb is 12V 10W 6cp.

All are nickel plated, as BMW requires.

And I know about putting the wrong bulbs in and causing melting - good motivation, but poorly executed. I have seen some really bad results in E28 fivers, notorious for dim tails. If you put a brake light bulb in the tail light socket, it is brighter by a lot until it melts the sockets, housing, and lens. Then it burns the contact points until it no longer lights at all. That is a tragedy we all must avoid!

I do not ever want to hear that my upgrade has melted a light, which is why I test before selling anything. So far, I haven’t heard it yet, after 8 years.

By the way, the light I used for the photos above was melted slightly, directly above the brake light bulb, so I know what to look for. There are simple ways to improve on BMW’s designs, as we all know.

Glad to see the conversation going in a good direction!

Ok great. Its a deal. I will take the 142/3 and the reverse also unless you have a caterpillar fralq? Thanks!

You are welcome. I think.

Can anyone interpret for me, as I do not speak Martian ... ;)

If you want to email me with your name and address, I'll email you back with my paypal and amount. We can work this out, I think... but sadly, I do not have a caterpillar fralq, so I assume you want everything except the caterpillar?

Thanks for your interest. Edited by MoBrighta

First set sold, two left.

Sputter will be wearing some very nice, bright, and shiny tail lights!

The car is in restoration, I submit that is the best time to send off your reflectors for an overhaul adn high performance upgrade; think of it as a cheap insurance policy to ward off evil from behind... one premium, and a lifetime of protection (subject to occasional bulb replacement).

Let's see if John will post pics of the lights installed and glowing proudly, with his impressions, shall we? (hint, hint)

Next up - Roundies, restored, upgraded, and boosted with high performance lights 'all the way 'round.' See them at:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,382132/

Two sold, only one left

Last one goes for the preliminary low price.

After that, $60 each.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Bumpity upity, with an update.

May be getting two more reflectors soon, will restore and post pics - hopefully with a lens in place to show what lights, and how brightly (classic before and after shots).

If I can find a late 2002 in town, I'll put in the car for 'as installed' pics.

Only $40 a pair until the third set is sold, then $60 a pair.

TGIF!

• 2 weeks later...

MoBrighta

I am interested in your squarie restoration. Please email with the button and I will get you the $40

I got some stuff from Dan Stern and he told me about these bulbs but I never followed through. Your price for this seems fair.

Thanks

Mike

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

MoBrighta

I am interested in your square restoration. Please email with the button and I will get you the $40

I got some stuff from Dan Stern and he told me about these bulbs but I never followed through. Your price for this seems fair.

Thanks

Mike

Thanks, Mike, I think it's fair too!

Mike is officially getting the last of the 'Early Customer Discounts', the regular price for this upgrade now applies.

Don't forget your tail and turn signals, they need high output bulbs too if you want to 'Be Seen, and Not Hurt.'

Ok great. Its a deal. I will take the 142/3 and the reverse also unless you have a caterpillar fralq? Thanks!

Sorry, I can't resist going back to this post - please forgive me for not understanding the bulk of 'texting shortcuts'... I do not text more than twice a year or so, barely use a cell phone for anything other than basic purposes.

Can anyone on the forum enlighten me as to what this means? Am I missing something in the shorthand / code embedded in this, or is there a simpler explanation, like typos or ???

'Marsattacks' - are you still following this thread, and do you want to comment?

;)

Andy