• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1600 trans swap

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have my 1600 trans out and I have 2002 trans with hydraulic clutch going in. Do I need to change peddle box? Also where can I find a slave cylinder for it? Is there anything else I need?

If it is a 2002 box you can use the same mechanical clutch linkage from the 1600, just take the slave cylinder out of the housing and run the push rod through the hole the same as the 1600 box (there really was no difference between the 1600 and 2002 transmissions. What year is the 1600? If it is a really early one the output flange MIGHT be different. Does your car have a 8 bolt Guibo or 6 bolt?

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Guest Anonymous

It's a 1969 and the probable is I don't have a slave cylander and wanna find one by tomorrow. All I have is trams click and fly wheel from a 2002.

If you are trying to put it in a 1600 you need the entire pedal assembly. The 1600's used a mechanical clutch linkage and the 2002's used a hydraulic clutch system. You need the pedal box, master cylinder, hoses and slave cylinder. It is a big job to change it, just use the mechanical linkage including the throw out bearing arm from the old transmission and it will work just fine.

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

what you want to attack is restoring your original

mechanical (non-hydraulic clutch) pedal box.

There are many friction points that are dirty, rusty,

worn causing excessive play between actuating parts

making for a harder, rougher, sloppier clutch (and brake)

operation. So now is the time (43 years) to service

this area of the car that hasn't had any care since it was

originally assembled. LONG OVER DUE!

Same goes for the accelerator pedal/linkage/pivots.

Pull back the carpet so you can clean and inspect

all the moving parts down there. Look for broken, missing

springs, and then order your lunch.

22.png

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

What happened to the clutch linkage pieces that were on the old transmission? The short answer is NO. If you were a good enough fabricator to make that work you would not be asking for help online.

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Guest Anonymous

the old linkage is still in the car ....we never did this before and now we are in it over our heads ....I thought this extra trans that came with the car was the exact same but it isnt ...so i have the old trans out and we found a Fly wheel thats from the 2002 trans but i have no idea how to install the hydraulic clutch parts ...(we dont have the parts like the slave cylinder or master cylinder) nor know how to install them....do we for sure need to replace the pedal box? If I had a list of parts and or a few pics i think i could figure it out ...Please help

Guest Anonymous

the old linkage is still in the car ....we never did this before and now we are in it over our heads ....I thought this extra trans that came with the car was the exact same but it isnt ...so i have the old trans out and we found a Fly wheel thats from the 2002 trans but i have no idea how to install the hydraulic clutch parts ...(we dont have the parts like the slave cylinder or master cylinder) nor know how to install them....do we for sure need to replace the pedal box? If I had a list of parts and or a few pics i think i could figure it out ...Please help

You don't need to put the "2002" clutch and flywheel on the 1600 engine to use that gearbox ( as a matter of fact the engine might have 6 bolts holding the flywheel to the crank and the "2002" flywheel might be a later 8 bolt)

I'm still not positive you have a 2002 gearbox. Does it look EXACTLY like the one you took out? Does it have the round hole down low on the driver's side of the bell housing for the push rod to go through ( or the slave cylinder mount?)

You need to post a picture of both of the gearboxes next to each other so we have some idea what you are working with.

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC