• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ipod-Controlled Hidden Stereo Into a BMW 2002

Ipod-Controlled Hidden Stereo Into a BMW 2002

By Andrew Adams @ IE

(a n d r e w a d a m s @ i e m o t o r s p o r t . c o m)

-Let me be VERY upfront, I am NOT a stereo guy, none of this would have been possible if it had not been from input by several members here on the FAQ and on R3vlimited.

GOAL: --------------------------------------------------------

A completely hidden, ipod-controlled basic stereo setup that retains the Becker head unit.

Please note, if you can sacrifice a tiny bit of visibility for a better sounding system, look at the Eurotrash kick panels and woofer setup

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,329333/

The speaker, wiring, and amp specifics is on the wiring diagram below, if someone want a full-size version of the diagram, please email me and I'll send it over.

stereo1-1.jpg

AUDIO COMPONENTS -------------------------------------------------------------------

-FRONT SPEAKERS: 4x6 2-way (Polk Audio db461 - RMS:4-40w 4ohms)

-REAR SPEAKERS: 6x9” 3-way (Polk Audio db691 - RMS:10-100w 4ohms)

-4-CHANNEL AMP: Rockford Fosgate Punch P400-4 (RMS: 4x50w 4ohms)

-Ipod signal booster: JL Audio CL-RLC

-RCA to ipod cable: Ziotek ZT1900666HC1 6-Feet Ipod 30Pin To Rca Stereo Cable, White

-Male/Male RCA adapter (radioshack $8)

-Long RCA wire

-Amp & Speaker Wiring: 4 gauge: Rockford Fosgate RFK4x 4 AWG Amplifier Install Kit

MATERIALS. -------------------------------------------------------------------

...were by-in-large from Jo-Anns (my wife loves pointing that out to me everytime she gets in the car).

-marine-grade black vinyl which surprisingly matched the original console vinyl perfectly. (for front console and front speaker panels)

-open-cell foam (for rear speaker shelf)

-Headliner foam (for front speaker insolation)

-speaker cloth (for rear speaker shelf and front speakers)

-black micro-suede (for center ash tray)

-dynamatt (for rear speaker shelf)

-wood (for amp shelf and rear speaker shelf)

-interior carpet (for amp shelf)

CENTER CONSOLE:------------------------------------------------------------

IMG_7066edit_zpsf5a8dfe6.jpg

Re-wrapped in vinyl, on the center ash tray I used a dremel to whittle away at the retention clip to allow clearance for the ipod. Wrapped the inside with micro-suede for a nice touch.

IMG_6701edit_zps905d7ea6.jpg

Made a hole in the backside for the ipod connector.

IMG_6702edit_zps296640ed.jpg

Enlarged the stereo opening for Becker and made backside support arm (ran a new cheap speaker for the becker, this is how I get my radio).

IMG_7068edit_zps19c10d45.jpg

Finished off with this beautiful hand-made shift knob by David (I think it’s proportioned perfectly to the car, not diminutive like the alpina knob).

(http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,379457/ )

IMG_5194edit_zps3fe87c5f.jpg

FRONT SPEAKERS:-------------------------------------------

Driver’s side, I used the stock under dash panel, (Thanks to Ken Blasko). Cut out speaker hole wrapped it in vinyl, insulated the backside and stretched over some speaker cloth.

For a better sounding front setup you can also also go with the awesome eurotrash kick panels here...

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,329333/

frontkickpanels2edit_zpsea353844.jpg

frontkickpanels1edit_zps132ed12a.jpg

Passenger’s side, made new panel as the stock piece was warped to badly. Repeated same steps as driver’s side.

frontkickpanels3edit_zps6a0bbc8b.jpg

frontkickpanels5edit_zps7fa7d657.jpg

frontkickpanels6edit_zps39199c3d.jpg

frontkickpanels7edit_zpsa1b4915a.jpg

REAR SPREAKERS ---------------------------------------

Basically copied what Marshall did, new rear panel attached speakers. Layered the dynamat, foam and speaker cloth. Micah gave me the idea to use bang matts for the rear speakers to sit in. The bang matts help to seal the rear panel keeping out fumes, plus you can’t see the ugly speakers jutting into your trunk.

IMG_7144edit_zps727b03a7.jpg

IMG_7148edit_zpscabcc164.jpg

AMPLIFIER ------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made a little wood shelf that fit in nicely (covered in carpet), mounted the amp and signal booster to it. Drilled a couple of wire access holes and was set!

IMG_5199edit_zps1b2f3260.jpg

Wired everything up according to the diagram…..

IMG_5252edit_zps424e3b37.jpg

The volume control knob is the old choke-cable knob on the steering column. Welded a piece of the old threaded cable end to the JL-supplied supplied adjuster, and wah-lah!

IMG_7122_zps40c966e4.jpg

The interior looks better than it has in a long long time, now it sounds better too!

IMG_7135editsm_zps40c01421.jpg

HINDSIGHT:-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have heard that Becker Autosound can convert the output signal of the Becker Europa to RCA which would mean I could hypothetically run the entire setup using the becker (basically Becker w/rca outputs -> JL Audio CL-RLC -> Amplifier. -> Speakers).

This post has been promoted to an article

Great idea, great DIY! I am approaching that project and this will be a great help. My GF loves Jo-Anns. I have to admit, they do have the vinyl and foam I need.

Really appreciate the info. Thanks for posting.

BTW, the shift boot. How did you secure it? I have mine without the long portion of the console and want to keep it that way. Is that the IE shift boot?

I'm glad you like the shift knob!

Fantastic install! Your car looks wonderful! Really great writeup; as always!

To those interested in a custom knob, PM me for details.

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

I'm glad you like the shift knob!

Fantastic install! Your car looks wonderful! Really great writeup; as always!

To those interested in a custom knob, PM me for details.

The shift knob was perfect, really fits the palm of my hand just right. Thanks again!

Great idea, great DIY! I am approaching that project and this will be a great help. My GF loves Jo-Anns. I have to admit, they do have the vinyl and foam I need.

Really appreciate the info. Thanks for posting.

BTW, the shift boot. How did you secure it? I have mine without the long portion of the console and want to keep it that way. Is that the IE shift boot?

Thanks, the leather boot is held on via an external scrunchee underneath the lip. It is an IE shift boot, though trying to get some made that already have the scrunchy sown into the boot.