• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you get the dang overrider deletes on?

kronus

I've got a shorty rear bumper on my 2002, and recently ordered new overrider delete plates that I'd like to install. However, the main bolts that keep the bumper together stick out too far for the delete plates to make it on. They don't even stick out very far and are rounded cap-head bolts, but it's too far, as the deletes are a very tight fit.

Anyone have any suggestions for installing these? Short of pounding bends into the bumper to recess the bolts, I have no good ideas.

Other than using the wrong bolts, the delete plates are sometimes installed with rubber trim on the edges--as on the BMW Museum car. This would probably raise the plate enough to easily bend the edges over for a good fit. I have seen the trim in both black and silver. Trying to decide whether or not to use it on my 2002.

post-20542-13667667911976_thumb.jpg

There were special headed bolts avail at one time but when you order them now you get a standard carriage bolt type head. My best advice is to grind the head flat and treat the head with paint or rust preventative and put them on. I find its easiest to bend the bottom flap and work towards the top. Its a tricky install regardless but it can be done and look great with patience

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

1. get some stainless steel carriage bolts/nuts from your local hardware store and grind them down--they won't rust even after grinding, and youl'll be able to get 'em off without any effort. Doesn't matter if they're not metric, you can find an SAE bolt that will fit.

2. As for the trim pieces: early cars (probably through the 166/167xxxx VINs) used the silver trim, later roundies (modell 71) used black. Both kinds are still available AFAIK.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite