• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Canadians: how to avoid dutes on your classic car parts

Guest gliding_serpent

Guest gliding_serpent

Thr good folks at IE just notified me of a duty exemption for NOS or reproduction parts for cars more than 25 years old.

"Some information about duty and brokerage fees into CanadaAuto parts for vehicles >25 years old are duty free into Canada no matter the country of origin. Ask the shipper to indicate HS code 9966.00.00 on the customs declaration. This Tariff Item of the Customs Tariff gives duty free status to "articles for use solely or principally with those vehicles manufactured more than 25 years prior to the date of importation". Information about the interpretation of this tariff item can be found at http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/dm-md...0-15-20-doc-eng.html. As stated in this memo, eligible articles are limited to those solely or principally for qualifying vehicles and would have to be in keeping with the original appearance and configuration of the vehicle. These may be either original articles or reproductions.Articles that incorporate modern safety features or other technological developments can be considered under tariff item No. 9966.00.00, provided that they are solely or principally for use with qualifying vehicles and do not compromise the original configuration of the vehicle. An example would be disc brakes designed specifically for a 1936 Chevrolet Coupe.General purpose articles that can be used in vehicles covered and not covered under tariff item No. 9966.00.00 are not eligible for consideration. So reproduction door panels would be eligible as they are specific to a vehicle over 25 years old, but tires that fit both a TR6 and a 2011 Ford would not.On the brokerage/handling fee issue, Canada Post will collect a fee of $5 ($8 for Express Mail Service) as a handling fee, if duties and/or taxes were collected on the shipment.On shipments with a value of <$1600, there are ways to avoid the brokerage fees charged by UPS, Fedex etc, by clearing the shipment yourself. There are 2 ways to do this:1. Prior to receiving your shipment, you can contact the courier company and inform them of your wish to self-clear any shipments that are addressed to you and on which brokerage fees are applicable. The company will explain their procedures to you.2. As an alternative, when a casual shipment is delivered to you, you can refuse delivery and advise the courier company of your intention to self-clear directly with the CBSA. In this case, please ensure that you take note of the unique shipment identifier number on the package, as the shipment will be returned to the courier’s warehouse.With both options, you will need to visit your local CBSA office to complete a B15 (Casual Goods Accounting Document) and provide them with specific details, including the courier’s name, the unique shipment identifier number, a description of the goods and their value so that the CBSA can correctly assess the goods. This information is usually indicated on the shipment’s invoice, which will be provided to you by the courier company. When you have paid the applicable duties and/or taxes to the CBSA, you will be given an official receipt indicating that the goods have been accounted for. You will need to present this receipt to the courier’s warehouse where your shipment is stored, in order for the courier to release your shipment to you.Despite what you may be told by the courier, you have the right to do this and clear the goods yourself. See http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d17/d17-4-0-eng.pdf and in particular paragraph 56."

I was about to get Bavauto to add the code to my 1300$ shipment that was on hold for parts... but just before I called I got the email saying it was sent out. Wish me luck in getting it updated tomorrow. Could be significant savings.

Good to know and good luck. I know brokers can save you a bundle because their paperwork is usually accepted by the CRA, but I don't know about the UPS/CanPost/Fedex/Etc brokers. We seem to be at their mercy on large dollar shipments.

Please give us an update on your shipment, if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks for offering up this info.

Cheers.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Good info, thanks.

When I imported my 69 2002 from California, the Canadian customs guy swore I had to pay duty on it. I argued with him for 15 mins, but eventually gave up (it was about 1am at the time). He gave me a form, I filled it out, sent it in, and they sent me a cheque for the duty I paid. So even if you have paid duty, you can get it refunded.

The other way to avoid duty is to buy from Blunt. I've received many packages labeled "misc rubber parts" value $20 and Canada customs doesn't bother with it.

Guest gliding_serpent
Good info, thanks.

When I imported my 69 2002 from California, the Canadian customs guy swore I had to pay duty on it. I argued with him for 15 mins, but eventually gave up (it was about 1am at the time). He gave me a form, I filled it out, sent it in, and they sent me a cheque for the duty I paid. So even if you have paid duty, you can get it refunded.

The other way to avoid duty is to buy from Blunt. I've received many packages labeled "misc rubber parts" value $20 and Canada customs doesn't bother with it.

That last part is good to know as I had a 1300$ order shipped before I knew the above info. I also got a rad from Germany that I can probably claw back a few $$$ on.